Learning the basics of graphic design?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Fergal, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've no intention of becoming a graphic designer or even designing my own images. However, what I would like to improve my knowledge of graphic design to achieve the following;

• A better understanding of images as regards to how they are created and displayed on websites
    • Basic image editing - really simple stuff such as cropping an image, re-sizing an image or other very minor changes to an existing image.

How would you suggest I go about acquiring this knowledge?

Thanks!

2. pandaa

pandaa
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm not good at graphic design either, but the best way is to just plunge in, I would think. Get a photo editor such as GIMP, and mess around with the settings. That's how I learned. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. BAFHarvest

BAFHarvest
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i would suggest you must learn ADOBE photoshop, that is a simple image editor but has great functionality. if you are interested on learning that, then you could ask what you want to learn and we will support you Mr. Fergal. or pm me. :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the suggestion pandaa, I've had a look at the GIMP website. The software looks great and there seems to be a lot of useful resources and supporting documentation to make learning it easier. I may well take a look at that.

Thanks for the suggestion BAFHarvest and your offer to help. PhotoShop is quite expensive software and I really just want to get a basic knowledge, hence I don't plan on spending that much at this time.

5. SeanFace101

SeanFace101
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Decide on what oftware you are wanting to use, wiether it be photoshop, gimp or something else.
    After that, have a mess around with it to see what you can do on your own, then you can watch tutorials on the net and intructions on how to do certain things.
    You should then start to pick it up & do better work and achieve better finished work.
    :p

6. pandaa

pandaa
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A lot of people have a hard time adjusting to GIMP, because it was originally created on Linux. But if you persevere and read a few tutorials, I'm sure you can get used to it. :)

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks everyone, I will take a look at GIMP and the documentation on the GIMP in the near future. Then, I'll see where I'll go from there.

8. pandaa

pandaa
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No problem. If you really like it, I would suggest getting a 30 day PhotoShop trial, and if you like it, switch. It has so many more features, and you might just like it. It's a person preference though.

9. socialme82

socialme82
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Get GIMP or buy an old cheap version of photoshop/corel photopaint/paint shop pro and just look up effect tutorials for each on Google. You will be a master in days if you stick to it :p

10. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A designer friend of mine shared what I think is a great tip... The image has to work in black and white in order to be effective in colour... I guess it makes sense because if the structure isn't right then the colours won't make up for it...M.

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the tips and suggestions everyone, I will start my learning in the near future :)

12. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For basic images editing, you may simply get a tutorial at youtube. E.g. how to brush, tracing. Graphic design learning is split into 3 major sections, vector editing, photo editing and photography.

For latest design trend, it is advise to follow popular design blog, e.g. smashing magazine, web designer wall and web designer magazine.

• Like Like x 1
  13. IvonaLili

IvonaLili
    uix_expand uix_collapse

photoshop and youtube will make u a guru in ghrapics design