Leaflet Distribution Startup

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by marko_125, Jul 12, 2011.

1. marko_125

marko_125
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi All,

I have been researching into starting up a leaflet distribution business. I first started this mid last year and have slowly gathered information and have worked out what my strategy will be, and pricing etc.

However my main problem is 'drumming up the business' so to speak. I have heard a story about one person who sent 30 letters out to different companies and within six weeks had secured a number of contracts. I sent out considerably more letters to more companies, and have heard nothing. I advertised also in the yellow pages. My main thought has been that the businesses I last targeted weren’t suitable for what I was offering, or that I should have advertised with leaflets myself.

Would someone be able to offer any advice on this at all? And maybe recommend which types of firms I should be contacting?

Thank you in advance.

Mark

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hi Mark, first of all I'd like to welcome you to Business Advice Forum.

If I was in your position the first thing I would do is keep all leaflets that were delivered through my own door. I'd contact the companies being promoted and offer my services to them. Next I'd contact close competitors of the companies being promoted. If they are not currently doing any leaflet distribution, tell them that their competitors are and offer them a special introductory rate to test out your service.

The kind of leaflets I get through my door are generally for pizza delivery, other take aways and restaurants, garden maintenance, building and handyman services, estate agents, gyms and leisure centres and free newspapers. These types of businesses would also be worth targeting in your area.

How does that approach sound to you?

• Like Like x 1
  3. marko_125

marko_125
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Fergal,

Thank you very much and i'm glad i found the forum.

Thank you for your response also, your advices sound excellent. It's nice to hear some more ideas from a fresh pair of eyes so to speak.

I will certainly be having a go at that, and i will keep you posted as to how i get on :)

Thanks again Fergal.

Mark

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the reply Mark, good luck with it and yes please do keep us updated. Perhaps some of our other members will also reply with some helpful suggestions.

5. colvink

colvink
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi guys
    I have just read your post and found it very interesting.I'm hoping you could be kind enough to help me out, thats if your still involved in the leaflet business. I have recently started researching the idea of starting my own distribution business and wondered if you could give me tips to the trade. The do's and don't.
    Hope to hear soon

6. ncfsales

ncfsales
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello to every one, One business opportunity is to set yourself up as a leaflet distributor. Yes that is right - It’s a service that many businesses need, just look at the number of leaflets that come through your door from free newspapers, insurance firms, local takeaways, restaurants, or property developers.

Typically most businesses expect to pay between £25 and £40 OR MORE per one thousand leaflets depending on the area (terraced houses versus widely distributed properties). The main cost of distribution is your time and some travel to the target area if you can’t walk there. It should be possible to deliver between 200 and 400 leaflets per hour depending upon the area.

The £200 startup budget would be used to get some leaflets and business cards printed and a cheap pay as you go mobile phone, you can then approach local businesses and offer your services, providing them with the mobile phone number to contact you.

You can run this business totally by yourself or scale it up by employing other people to do the deliveries for you and concentrating your efforts on sales and marketing of the service. A simple scalable business, all for under £200. is possible Yes that is right....
    You are on the right business ... You no need to go big... On every business idea i start i make money, but any one can do this the market is GOOD 100% ALL THE BEST...