Leading By Example.

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by JPM, Jul 2, 2011.

1. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I happen to believe quite strongly in this as an area that managers or leaders of teams must be well versed in.

I am a store manager who runs a store with a team of around 50 people and quite often I find it useful to remind my management team that "if you are not willing to do something, or not able to do something yourself' please do not ask others.

If there are any managers out there, what do you think? If you were short staffed - would you be capable of filling one of the staff roles? Would you do it as well as they would?

2. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is the way we worked in the pharmaceutical sales field. Whenever I went in on sales calls with my reps, it was their call but it they got stuck, I would jump in and help. It's almost expected that the managers have been decent reps before so they should be able to pitch in when required. It's also a learning experience for the reps.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I agree fully that it is extremely important to lead by example. Staff will not respect managers who don't practice what they preach or who expect more from their staff than they do from themselves.

There are times however, when managers are required to manage people with particular skills that they don't have themselves. For example you could find yourself in the position of managing someone who is programming a website for you, even if you don't have the skills to build the site yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's a great point Fergal, and I have to deal with this also from time to time, but as they are not direct employees of mine I guess it is easier.

5. Gary Barzel

Gary Barzel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Another important aspect of why it is important for managers to come in and tackle a problem, is it creates a positive environment in the workplace and that's crucial for employees to see so that they are willing to give their job all the energy it requires. If employees see that a manager is lazy or always asks someone else to do something for whatever reason, they lost respect for that manager. Once that happens it creates resentment in their eyes, and we all know how that affects their work, and how it impacts the general atmosphere.

• Like Like x 1
  6. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

True, but effective leaders are able to perform the 'heli-view' without the need to get too involved in any one task.