Laptop or Desktop?

Discussion in 'Computer Questions, Issues & Security' started by Damien Lee, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Damien Lee

Damien Lee
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Quite naturally, most of us here make use of a computer device of some sort. If you're a business person or freelancer, chances are you can't live without your computer.

However, we have a few choices to make. We can either go for a desktop, laptop and even tablet device for our needs. But I prefer we focus exclusively on desktops and laptops as they are far more versatile and better suited for productivity.

I always used desktops in the past, simply because I got better performance for my money. However, laptops have improved a tenfold and the portability aspect is a big deal. Especially if you've need to travel a lot or visit clients regularly. For this reason alone, I've opted for laptops for my needs.

What do you prefer using for your work - laptops or desktop PCs?

2. pwarbi

pwarbi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For me I use a combination of everything. For work and desk based jobs I have a desktop PC. It's not used half as much as it used to be but it's still indispensable.

Work out of the office is usually handled by a tablet device that I can carry round from store to store but I also have a laptop aswell that usually stays in the bag but when I get back to the car I can connect the two and transfer orders off the tablet onto the laptop.

Then there's the smartphone that I can link to all 3 if I need to.

3. chad23

chad23
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have a powerful laptop with a great videocard, it has all the features I need. So I don't need any desktop PC.

4. appleannie123

appleannie123
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I just cannot live without a computer anyway. I think my computer has become my life. I know being a Gen X that this is not really supposed to be the case. However, I have found that my computer helps me to stay in better touch with the realities of the world and have human connections. I suppose there are some who would disagree that these are human connections, but I frequent forums just because it gives me the sense of feeling connected with the world.
    I have gone through times of feeling isolation and on some days prior to the purchase of my first computing device and discovering forums that I would not feel connected with humans at all.
    I prefer my laptop for most uses. But there are some things that I would prefer my desktop.

5. healingforce

healingforce
    uix_expand uix_collapse

At home I've only a desktop PC which is enough for what I have to do at the moment but in the future I'm planning to buy a laptop as I will have to go to university and I will need it.

6. llfsa

llfsa
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It depends on what you want it for. Figured for me, a laptop connected to my ultra-wide screens provides me with everything I need. But if you do heavier tasks such has video editing and/or gaming a desktop is what you need

7. jteezymob

jteezymob
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Laptops are convenient being portable and not fixed to one place. Although, except at the high end they do not offer the power of most desktops. They are also often hard to fix, especially the brand names ones like HP. Most laptops are usually limited in the degree they can be upgraded. On the whole laptops do not last as long as desktops.

8. healingforce

healingforce
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Why would you connect a laptop on a another screen? Isn't it a bit uncomfortable to use it because of the HDMI cable length?

9. Elysium

Elysium
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Moderation Monkey

I prefer a laptop, for the main reason of it being portable.

However do not get me wrong, I love desktops. I currently have an all-in-one that's pretty much portable but big like desktops. Laptops are just easier to lug around, and less cords. Heh.

10. tsubibo

tsubibo
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

These days you can't survive being in business without being connected to the internet. I would actually choose a high-end pc for my needs. A feel that a laptop just don't cut it for my tastes. Yeah they are portable but its actually easier to just carry a tablet.

11. Jill Quinn

Jill Quinn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Laptop is more comfortable than desktop. Because, with laptop you can take it everywhere you want and now, have many laptop with powerful for you

12. Corzhens

Corzhens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is always the desktop for me particularly the olden keyboard that pleases my fingers. Ironically, about 5 years ago, our office did away with the desktops of managers and instead issued us laptops. In fairness to our office, I can bring the laptop anywhere and can even afford me to work at home. With the keyboard, I was able to adapt after a month of use. But still, I'm for the desktop.

13. abhi_garg

abhi_garg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Off course Laptop is best than Desktop ! Laptop & Desktop both are fine according to use but I personally think Laptop is best than Desktop because it's easy to carry anywhere, It's easy to use than desktop (you don't have to connect keyboard mouse etc) & it's also increase your personality ;)

14. Robert01

Robert01
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I prefer desktop computer much more than a laptop. Although currently I'm using a laptop computer.

15. m0n2k

m0n2k
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would say both laptops and desktops are useful. A laptop can be used any where, but a desktop has more storage space. The idea is to be efficient at what ever your doing. If you have a big business you better have a desktop with a good OS and security. If you could afford to use both it would be best to do that.

16. Sadness

Sadness
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have both laptop and desktop. But mostly I use Desktop :D

17. William Hix

William Hix
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I prefer laptop because I can charge it and use it even with the absence of electricity. And I can do my job and be updated anywhere. And I don't have so much space at home to place a desktop.

18. jhonn23

jhonn23
    uix_expand uix_collapse

19. Khalid

Khalid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Laptops all the way, haven't used a desktop in almost 10 years.

20. Danielle Davidson

Danielle Davidson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would much rather use my laptop than a desktop. The reason being that you have more freedom with them. You can work outside on them which is great. I hate sitting at a desk all day because then my back will start to hurt. So that's one of the main reasons why I tend to stay away from them. They also start to crap out faster than a laptop would. Which is why it makes more sense to buy a laptop.