Language affects communication

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by abohadi, Feb 5, 2009.

1. abohadi

abohadi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Language is the main factor leading and affecting communication. If it is employed correctly, effective communication can take place. If not, there will be a breakdown in communication which may not be realized by every one at the time.

When the expected action from communication fails to take place or when the objective of communication wasn’t fulfilled, it means the failure of communication.

To create effective communication with others your language must be understandable to those whom you address. To realize that you should take the following into account:

1. Most words have more than one meaning and sometimes several meanings. So you should ensure that the receiver understands the words with the meaning you want.

2. Many groups of people use common words in special way in their technical or professional environment. When you communicate with them, try to use the words in the same way they use them.

3. Different social groups have also developed their own vocabulary using common words to do something different. So you should care about the social context of whom you communicate with.

4. Most of us employ smaller vocabulary in speaking and writing that is actually understood. So you shouldn’t use uncommon words or uncommon meanings for certain words.

In general, effective communication involves actions, reactions, and interactions. All these depend on the flow of information, questions and answers passing to and from the participants and all the while there must be understanding. One of the most frequent causes of misunderstanding is that related to the meanings of words.

2. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi!!! abohadi
    Welcome to the BAF community....

A very good thread & tips regarding how communication can become ineffective if it is not perceived by the receiver in the same sense as said by speaker....
    Your way of communicating, your style, body language etc. many other factors that effect communication too!!!

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hi Abohadi and welcome to Business Advice Forum.

Thanks for sharing those useful communication tips. To echo what Scifi said, would you agree that what you say is often not as important as how you say it?

4. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Welcome to the Business Advice Forum Abohadi.

Those are really very good tips on the effective use of language to express your thoughts and ideas. This is especially useful for non-native English speakers like myself and many others. Sometimes we're also so used in using a word or phrase that we forget it might not be as common as we think it is. They might not also understand because we have a different accent and pronounce words a tad bit differently. I think this is where body language will play a very important role in communicating.

5. abohadi

abohadi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you all for your feeds. I take your replies into account.
    I agree with you all about the importance of non verbal language.
    My next post will tackle this topic
    thank you again

6. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Welcome abohadi and thanks for the post. Something else to remember: as the old saying goes " it ain't what you say, it's the way that you say it." Not all communication comes from the words alone but also inflection.

7. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That is a very good post.

Doing international sales I have run in to the language barrier a lot.

Besides the language barrier knowing the business culture is important, with business methods being different in for different areas of the world.