Know where to find stock/royalty free images....

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Sshadow, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Sshadow

Sshadow
    uix_expand uix_collapse

...related to webhosting? Like computers/servers or hard drives? Not necessarily just that, anything related will do.

2. realitybites.in

realitybites.in
    uix_expand uix_collapse

3. Sshadow

Sshadow
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Wow i didn't know these type of sites existed as far as "images for credits". I have been around for a while to :) Ok something like this can't be for free as the best never is. Would you recommend any of them as far as quality/quantity/price goes? I am willing to invest a bit but I want to be sure I am going with the best :)

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sshadow have a look at some of the Image & Font Sources links in our Useful Online Business Resources thread. Thanks for those great links realitybites.in, I've added some of them to the resources thread.

5. houstonVijai

houstonVijai
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Just word of caution. Please make sure when you download or use the free images from any sites to keep the transaction safe. We are currently facing some issues with free images which we downloaded from gettyimages or their subsidary network fwe years back. They are not coming after us asking for compensation for image infringement.

I just thought share with you guys so you can make sure whatever images/photos you get from web make sure it is legitimate and free for sure.

Vijai

6. Sshadow

Sshadow
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I went with istockphoto.com

Thanks all for the input. You really helped me. I decided to go with http://www.istockphoto.com they were not the absolute cheapest however they do have an awesome collection of images and are easily affordable for my needs. Beyond that though relating to what the above poster said. http://www.istockphoto.com is owned by Getty Images. If you are a news fiend like I am you may notice that ALOT of the images and such you see in news and documentaries come from Getty themselves. Stuff from CNN and the AP(Associated Press) often have the Getty copyright to it so I knew I was going with someone more reputable. Their "License" agreements are very reasonable as well. Overall after signing up and purchasing my first round of credits I am very satisfied. Although I must say the decision making on which images to choose is very hard hehe :)

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the warning tmvijai, I've heard other stories of webmasters who believed they had full rights to use an image, only to be chased for royalty fees after using it for some time.

If the image was free, on what basis are they making a claim for image infringement?

8. houstonVijai

houstonVijai
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Fergal,

It looks like there are few things happening. But let me share the one in my client case. I did the website thru my indian team who seems to have used the pictures from gettyimages or other site. At that time, it looks like free to use it. Once the gettyimages took over the company, they made it legal and copyright protected. So they are going after the people who are using the imags from the company they bought it. They are showing the catalog numbers and so forth and asking for proof on purchase of the image. Obviously you don't have one and end up with the legal suit. My client is currently negotiating with them to reduce the amount. They charge $750 per pic and billed $3500. If he can get down something, I might have to take a pie on that expense which is too much.

In another case, many websites which tell they are free image but they are not actually and might get caught after you used for a while.

I learnt a costliest lesson from this case. Try to be authentic with images and photos and get a proof if images are pulled from outside websites with a page screenshot saying the image is free to save as a proof. If we tried to save some dollars it is not worth it and comes back to hunt you later.

Hope this helps.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

If a company is bringing a claim, on the basis that they own an image, would the obligation not be on them to prove that they own it? In other words, the person who is using the image, would not have to pay any fine or penalty until a case is proven against them? Proving a case against them could be difficult, if they had the legal right to the image when they first put it on their website.

10. houstonVijai

houstonVijai
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes thats right and they have the proof to show that they own them with all the catalogs. THey want us to prove whether they brought from us or any of their subsidary. THey said they didin't any proof of purchase for our client and asked us to provide. We don't have it since we got it free.. SO we are liable to pay it.

11. navast

navast
    uix_expand uix_collapse

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Did you not say that one of their subsidiaries was providing the images for free at one time and that's where you got the image. Can't you simply tell them approximately when you got the image and what site was providing it for free at the time?

13. Bpro

Bpro
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can find free images at corbis.com they provide high quality image and that's completely free.

14. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

15. indigonl

indigonl
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I often use dreamstime.com

16. houstonVijai

houstonVijai
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Fergal, We didn't mention them about the timeframe and what site but they don't want to believe us it was free at the time. They were asking for proof of purchase and if no proof pay the fine. We are now end up paying the charges. You know the bad part, I am just an intermediatory between US client and Indian vendor and paying too much more from what I earned from the project.

THanks all for sharing free sites. But are you sure taking from those free sites you won't get sued later asking for proof. It is a risky ordeal. They can always come back after a year or two and say it wasn't free. If its free prove it. If you can prove that its free at the time you took the imags, then go ahead and do it. Otherwise I would avoid using free images from web for business purpose.

17. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

You need to be cautious as to what "free" specifically means and the context in which it is used.

For example, "royalty free" doesn't give you the right to simply take the image and not pay anything for it. You generally have to pay an upfront fee to purchase royalty free rights to use an image. Once you have purchased the royalty free rights, you don't have to pay any ongoing royalties to continue using the image, hence the expression royalty free.