Keywords with a big search volume didn't bring much traffic

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by apexis, Sep 14, 2012.

1. apexis

apexis
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Main keywords that have a big search volume didn't bring much traffic
    I want to know why my main keywords that have a big search volume didn't bring much traffic. One of my keyword ranked first at google,but this keyword didn't bring much traffic,can you express it for me? Thanks!

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

If you are ranking number one for a keyword with lots of searches, you should be receiving lots of traffic from those searches. Are you sure that you are actually "ranked first at google", or are you just showing at the top of the personalised Google results on your own computer?

Is the title and description of your webpage relevant to the search term? E.g. a search engine result for the search term "dog" will probably not get too many clicks, if the listing title and description, describe a site about cats.

• Like Like x 1
  3. rudradhar

rudradhar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It also about keyword search. If you don't mind can I know which search you use i.e Broad, Exact or Phrase

4. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

As you've learned, just because a keyword phrase gets a high volume of searches, that doesn't mean they are all going to buy. More important than the number of searches is the number of conversions, and/or the conversion rate. For instance let's say a certain phrase gets 30 searches a month, and 3 convert to buyers, meaning it has a 10% conversion rate. Another phrase has 100 searchers a month, but 5 convert to buyers. That's a conversion rate of only 5%, but you're actually getting more buyers. Now let's reverse that - Say the phrase gets 100 searchers gets 3 conversions, and the phrase with 30 searchers gets 5. Even though the first phrase gets 100 searchers, the both the conversion rate and number of buyers are higher for the phrase with less searchers. So, going after the phrase with more searchers doesn't always make sense.

Fergal brings up two good points here. If you have personalization turned on in Google, It knows where you've been, so will show you where it thinks you want to go. His second point is also a good one. Your Title and Description are there so the searcher can determine whether or not your site is what they are looking for. Are your phrases relevant to people who buy your products? To use your phrases as examples, are people who are ready to buy searching for "surveillance camera" or "purchase surveillance cameras" or "surveillance camera dealers"? Are your phrases being searched by lookers, researchers, or buyers?

• Like Like x 2
  5. printingray

printingray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is not possible if you have keywords selection which have high traffic also your at top 10 in the Google, then it is not possible that you haven't traffic.

6. ssstylish

ssstylish
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Big search volume will not lead to big traffic in many cases, because the sites that rank in the first page of search result are quite popular and authoritative.

But small search volume can also make make a difference according to the long-tail theory.

7. Ken Peterson

Ken Peterson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There might be big competition for that keyword. Try with medium/low competition relevant keyword, once you start getting rank for it after that it would be easy to rank well for main keyword.

8. AJKpeter

AJKpeter
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I also prefer not to use highly competitive keywords

9. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Why not? What have you done instead, and why? Has what you are doing worked out for you, and if so, how well has it worked? Providing more than a one sentence answer would be more helpful to the members.

10. smo9marketing

smo9marketing
    uix_expand uix_collapse

1. Google regionalizes results.
    And have been for 4 years now.

Use hidemyass dot com to search google from another country to see if you're still page 1

2. Improve your headline
    Get a professional direct response copywriter to write your headline.
    I've seen 750% CTR improvements just from the headline alone.

It's worth the $100 you'd pay

3. Get a designer to design your site.
    If people bounce back to google,
    Google will demote your ranking based on bounce rate.

• Like Like x 1