Keywords - What's Better for SEO?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by James12smith, Jan 22, 2014.

1. James12smith

James12smith
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Wouldn't mind to pick someone's experience if possible.

Would it better to use the word "and" to separate a couple of keywords in a domain name or would the use of a hyphen be just as good?

Cheers and Thanks

2. billythronton467

billythronton467
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Now the particial match domain or emd doesnt perform well after the emd upgrade from google, but it is still recommended to have a keyword on the domain also making it short would help end users to remember the word quickly. So I would recommend to have a hyphen instead of a long domain.

3. vishal23

vishal23
    uix_expand uix_collapse

4. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I wonder why you would want to use two keywords in a domain name anyway. As billythronton467 pointed out, an EMD, or even a partial match doesn't really help anymore, although you can use one as long as it is related to the content of your website. I may have said something like this before, but I think it bears repeating, and can apply to several questions you have asked, or may ask in the future. Google's Webmaster Guidelines specifically say this:

"Avoid tricks intended to improve search engine rankings. . . Another useful test is to ask, "Does this help my users? Would I do this if search engines didn't exist?"

If the answer to either, or both, of the above questions is "No", then you have your answer. As far as the initial question is concerned, If you are including both keywords for SEO purposes, it is a trick "intended to improve search engine rankings", and should therefore be avoided.

5. dir4uk

dir4uk
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hyphen will be better many websites using and it works good

6. spyshekhar

spyshekhar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hyphen is better than and normally every person use hyphen instead of and and it really works good so you can use hyphen instead of and or anther word.

7. brucekemp

brucekemp
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As far as I know, using a hyphen in a site's name is not good. I have also read Google's Webmaster Guidelines. I have two domain names with hyphens and I did more work on it but the results are not good. I don't know if I am right or not. Let me know what you think.

Thanks

#7 brucekemp, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2014
  8. marrick

marrick
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think it depends on how long your domain name is. But most of the time, using "and" is not really advisable because it creates conflicts when it comes to retention. I only saw few domain names that have "and" to separate two words and they are really good brands.

So think first if your domain has a high retention rate when you use the word and.