Keyword Research Tools

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by hcted, Aug 15, 2010.

1. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I want to push good keywords. Where/how can I research keywords? I have always been bad at this part and see it time to improve. Any links to articles will help too! Thanks.

2. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Tools don't really do the trick. They can be misleading and too broad.

Anyway, what niche is your site? Over the years, this is what has done well for many large sites I have seen being developed:

Say you start off with "Computer Repairs". That's quite broad, so also push for "Sydney Computer Repairs" (I'm from Sydney :p), Cheap Sydney Computer Repairs, Sydney Computer Services and Sydney Laptop Repairs. Basically, what you need to do is become the client. Have a think about what your clients would search for. I know I wouldn't just search for "Computer Repairs" on an Australian search as I would probably have some results from the other side of the country. Focusing on these long tail keywords can really boost your performance.

Another example could be "Graphic Design". I know I would search for "Cheap Graphic Design", "Custom Graphic Design", "Vector Graphic Designer", "Custom Web Design/er", "Freelance Web Designer", and even "Sydney Graphic Design or Sydney Web Designer" (companies do want these targeted results to save up on costs).

Hope that helps.

3. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you David,

My site is my business - Chat Bam Web Design.

I have pushed some broad terms which I will be narrowing down, like you said. Those were some great tips. Hopefully this will help :)

4. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My favourite tool is Market Samurai. For the value you get at a one-off fee it is incredibly reasonable. With it you can not only drill down into markets and niches for keyword research but analyse the competition, keep track of your ranking results and more. It is a gem of a tool.

5. ProfitClinic

ProfitClinic
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, Market Samurai is about as good as it gets in this area of market research online.

The company that developed it, Noble Samurai, is located about 5 minutes down the road from me and is run by one very savvy guy.

John

6. dvdv882

dvdv882
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Re:

A good place to start is with a tool provided free by Google. It is Google Adwords Keyword Tool. With just a little bit of practice you will soon be mastering keyword selection. I suggest you select keywords that have a fair number of hits monthly, but not those in the top 50 percent of hits. The first half will have a lot of hits, but that means a lot of competition so getting decent page placement is more difficult.

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

You've received some great advice in this thread hcted. Another free tool that you could look at it is Google's Keyword Tool. I use it myself and find it very helpful.

8. rapidbilling

rapidbilling
    uix_expand uix_collapse

9. mike123

mike123
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Use google keyword tool, wordtracker or many other tools by searching on internet. So you can make your best keyword list for your online project.

10. landau

landau
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Assuming we're talking about organic seo, You might find it easier and more worth while promoting less competative keywords but with greater quantity. Research the keywords using the tools above and do a search on google to see what might be the least competative keywords but still relevant to you and do have a decent amount of searches.

Create 'landing pages' for each keyword - and I mean specific pages specially optimized for that keyword. After that you can start building your link campaigne.

Research Keywords ---> Add & Optimized content ---> get quality links.

#10 landau, Aug 25, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  11. Equine

Equine
    uix_expand uix_collapse

keyword tool

keyworddiscovery, and google adword keyword tool as well as keyword spy, these all tool useful to search keyword.

12. adtraka107

adtraka107
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you want advance keyword analysis research try using google adword, market samurai wordtracker in order to organize, manage and optimize your keywords! The closer your keywords match what the consumer is looking for, the more traffic you will get.

13. landau

landau
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Think like the consumer, yes! That is very important to attract relevant traffic, not necessarily quantity. It is an important aspect of your marketing (SEO and other methods) to attract the right people to your business.
    As I've mentioned above: In SEO you might want to go for diverse and long-tail terms, as well as the main terms. Adding relevant content to your website can help with this.

14. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What is the keyword research to be used for? Identifying areas to focus on for SEO or is it for paid search? The basic research is similar, but the specifics in how you develop it is a little different for both.

While I understand where David is coming from with that comment, and the rest of the post I fully agree with, I do disagree with the above comment hugely.

Tools to assist in 'keyword research' are just that, an aid to the research. They don't 'give' you the terms, they suggest potential terms that 'might' be related to your target market. It's up to you to then filter out what's relevant and what's not. If by using these tools you identify additional terms you wouldn't have thought of manually, that's a huge bonus.

If you're researching keywords for paid search campaigns, every result in keyword research is important. Even a term that isn't related to your products/services should be given attention. The 'negative keyword' list you develop is just as important as the keywords you're bidding on to ensure you're not lowering your CTR or gaining clicks from non targeted traffic (you can of course try to focus on 'exact match' or 'phrase match' too, but that's potentially limiting your reach a little more than simply building up an extensive and accurate negative keyword list).

+1. This is very important, particularly when a site is relatively young and lacking in the benefits of long running off page SEO. It's normally best to start off aiming at a particular niche of the 'high level' terms, having a good listing for a lower volume search phrase is normally far more beneficial in terms of traffic than having a low listing for the high volume keywords.

In terms of 'which tool' to use, the thread has already covered many of the best options, both free and paid. There's no real 'right' or 'wrong' option, it's all about which tool(s) you enjoy working with most to be honest as they do pretty much the same task and the results between them are relatively close (some do outperform others, but it's a debate to be avoided in a high level thread like this).

A few (free) options to consider:
    Google - External Keyword Tool
    Google - Search Based Keyword Tool
    WordTracker - Free Keyword Research Tool
    SEObook.com Keyword Tool
    Your own analytics results (be it google analytics or whatever traffic monitor you use)

Not really direct 'research', but beneficial all the same:
    Google Trends & Google Hot Trends
    Google Insights

Competitor analysis:
    Keyword Spy
    SpyFu

And BY FAR the most important tool of them all:
    YOU!

Tools are only an aid in terms of brainstorming and speeding up the process. Regardless of what tools you use, the end result will be 100% based on how you choose to use them. Use them well, they help ensure you don't miss any valuable niche. Use them poorly, you can't blame the tool to be honest.

15. Jessica John

Jessica John
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Keyword research isn't difficult at all, but it can mean a world of difference in your success adwords,Google.com its a big tool for key word search.Keyword research is a vitally important aspect of your search engine optimization campaign. If your site is targeting the wrong keywords, the search engines and your customers may never find you.