Keyword Lists - How to write a Keyword List for your Site

Discussion in 'Articles & Tutorials' started by Fergal, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Writing a keyword list for your site is one of the first steps in your SEO campaign. If you engage an SEO consultant the first thing they will normally ask you, before working on your site, is for a list of your keywords. The importance of writing a good keyword list should not be underestimated. Here are some helpful tips to help you create yours;

Terms You Would Use
    First write all the search terms that you yourself would use when searching for a site, product or service like yours. Write every term you can think of that might be relevant to your site.

Your Website Logs
    Have a look at your website stats programme to see what search terms your visitors have been using to find your site. Add these terms to your keyword list.

Internal Searches on your Site
    If you have a search box on your site and can record what terms your visitors have been using it to search for, add these terms to your list.

Competitors' Sites
    Get ideas from your competitors' sites. Look at their meta keyword tags and the content they use on their website pages, to get an idea of the keywords they have been using.

Ask Others
    Show your site and your current list to people you know - whether they be work colleagues, friends, family or members of a forum you participate on - and ask them to suggest terms. You might be pleasantly surprised by how resourceful and helpful others can be.

Synonyms
    These are different words that have the same meaning. Go through your list and add as many synonyms as possible. Use a Thesaurus if it would help.

Spaces
    There are some words that are commonly spelled, with and without a space. E.g. Marketplace & Market Place, and website and web site. Use both version.

Hyphens
    Where applicable, use the hyphenated version and the version without the hyphen. E.g e-commerce and ecommerce.

Your Business and/or Website Name
    Your list of keywords should include these. People will search for your site or business name.

Location Words
    Add these to relevant terms. E.g. if your keyword is business forum, use Irish Business Forum and Business Forum Ireland.

Relevant Websites, Blogs, Review Sites and News Media
    Have a look to see what terms they are using to describe your product, service, subject topic or business.

Related Terms on Search Engines
    Most search engines will prompt you with related terms when you search for one of your keywords. Add these related terms to your keyword list.

Singular and Plural
    Most search engines treat the singular and plural version of any given word as separate search terms. Go through your keyword list and add the plural or singular version of all the terms already on it.

Spelling Mistakes
    Look through your list with a view to finding terms that have common spelling mistakes. Add the misspellings to your list. Also add UK and US English versions of the spelling, where relevant.

Keyword Tools
    These tools suggest additional keywords to you based on the search terms you enter. My favourite is Google's Keyword tool.

Spending a couple of hours on this process should give you a huge list of keywords relevant to your site and your next task will then be to rank these terms in order of importance.

Good luck with it!

• Like Like x 3
  2. OnlineHelper

OnlineHelper
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There's a lot of good pointers here. In my opinion using a keyword tool is absolutely essential...as this will help you to know exactly what keywords/keyword phrases people are searching for. Without using some sort of keyword tool you will end up randomly selecting keywords that people may not even be searching for which will result in very little traffic being brought in from them. Although an internal search may work well for an established site that already has visitors that are plugging in search terms. However, if you are launching a brand new site where you don't have any internal searches to use, a keyword tool can show you exactly what words and phrases people are looking for.

There isn't anything wrong with Google's Keyword Tool, I use to use it all the time myself, then I found Market Samurai which I absolutely love. I kept reading about all of the benefits of this advanced keyword tool on some of the blogs that I read regularly and decided to finally check it out. It's amazing! It is so much more thorough than the Google's tool, it let's you asses so many different levels of traffic and competition. It even goes so far to let you search a keyword and it will show you the top ten sites on Google for that search term and then show you how many pages Google has indexed for them, how many backlinks with that keyword are linking to a particular page as well as to the overall domain, it even shows you exactly what sites are linking to them and what the page rank of the sites that are linking is...ect. The reason why this is so valuable is because even though a keyword may have thousands of searches for it a month, you also need to factor in how high the level of competition is, because if the competition is too high it will be really hard for you to get on the first page of Google for that particular keyword, which essentially means you won't get that much traffic.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the reply OnlineHelper, I had a look at the trial version of Market Samurai some time ago and found it very helpful. I may well purchase the full version in the future. Have you ever used Word Tracker?

4. freelancemom

freelancemom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Great advice Fergal!

I've never used Market Samurai - will have to check that out. I do use keyworddiscovery, webceo and absolutely Google keyword tool.

5. OnlineHelper

OnlineHelper
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I haven't tried Wordtracker. My husband had looked into it in the past, however after being recommended many times to try Market Samurai we decided to try that instead.

6. CloptonCapital

CloptonCapital
    uix_expand uix_collapse

these tools are largely for longtail keywords. Very valuable keywords typically require judgement calls on behalf of the website owner

7. laura

laura
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have found Google analytics has always helped with which keywords generate traffic.

8. WhatNow292

WhatNow292
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i also use google analytic for keywords

9. jorden.william85

jorden.william85
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Fergal,
    good advice, very helpful for people.
    i like it.....

#9 jorden.william85, May 28, 2011
    Last edited: May 28, 2011
  10. winnie84

winnie84
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for useful advice. I find some good tips from your post.

11. Nill Smith

Nill Smith
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Some people uses to select their keywords for website through any of one free tool provided on internet. You have make us understand more deeply for how to choose relevant keywords for website.

12. Stephen Ryan

Stephen Ryan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's a good list Fergal. To that i would add. Think about the type of visitor that you want to attract to your website.
    Visualize their age, gender, interests.
    How do they speak? What language do they use?
    More importantly. How do you think they would speak about your product.
    In others words, What would they type into the search engines to find you?
    Most website owners get the keywords all wrong.
    They concentrate on the language they themselves use about their product, as opposed to the language their website visitors are likely to use.
    Big mistake!

Do a search for market samurai or micro niche finder. Pretty good tools for identifying profitable keyword niches.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Shahrier

Shahrier
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Is this list just for your information or is it to be applied into your site?

14. MillieGilbert

MillieGilbert
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I always use Google analytic for keywords.
    Excellent tool.

15. girdharkumar

girdharkumar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hi

this is a valuable information for search keyword for websites .this article give important information for seo keyword analysis

online software

16. girdharkumar

girdharkumar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hi

this is a nice post for keyword selection it is very important for seo

17. Tandy

Tandy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Fergal, some interesting ideas having compiled you list where are you using it? In articles?

18. OhioTom76

OhioTom76
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would always start all keyword research with Google's Keyword Planner tool. Google has more user search data than just about anyone else out there - no other third party keyword research tools can really even come close with their own proprietary databases, and in many cases a lot of these tools are simply just pulling that same free Keyword Planner data into their own platforms and charging you a premium to access it.

Tools like Market Samurai and Long Tail Platinum are useful to some extent, but keep in mind they are all pulling from Google's Keyword Planner in addition to some other sources. I think the key benefit of these tools is that they aggregate all this free data into one spot, which would otherwise take a lot longer to do manually. So not only do you have a list of suggested keywords, you can drill down on any one of those keywords and see what the top 10 SERP results are, and some additional columns of data about each of those pages. Long Tail Platinum also offers a proprietary Keyword Competition score which can help you quickly determine which words you should be targeting first, and which ones you shouldn't be wasting your time on due to their competitiveness.

Some people have also suggested scraping the auto suggested keyword phrases in Google's search box. Supposedly these are the top 10 most search phrases related to whatever you currently have typed in the box. I've done some more in depth research on these and found a number of instances where that wasn't always the case - in some cases it was suggesting keyword phrases which are lower in search volume than other keyword phrases not shown in the list, when comparing these to reports from Google's Keyword Planner. So apparently there is more to their business logic as to why they are suggesting those specific 10 keyword phrases. In fact they could be throwing some phrases into the mix which don't yet have any statistically significant search volume yet globally, but Google still may feel they are relevant to you for some other reasons, such as your own personal search history, or the IP address they detect the search coming from.

Also, if you are using a tool like Scrapebox, which pulls its keyword suggestions from these Google search auto suggests, and let it run several levels deep, you'll actually be missing out on a lot of good high volume terms that the Google Keyword Planner would have suggested had you used that instead. It's a bit cumbersome to explain exactly why, but if you compare the two lists, you'll often see the Google Keyword planner list has far more 3 and 4 word phrases, whereas when scraping from Google search auto suggest, you'll wind up with far fewer 3 and 4 word phrases, and instead have a larger list of 5 word phrases.