keyword has all of a sudden dropped!

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by TimB, Jan 14, 2013.

1. TimB

TimB
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey guys,

I had a site whose keyword was on position 12 till yesterday. However upon checking today my site keyword has all of a sudden dropped to number 472.

The strange thing is I haven't done anything different to the back linking efforts and the content remains the same. I'm wondering if this is a temporary thing or if there is no way of possibly knowing at the moment? Can that position be gained again?

Thanks

2. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Actually I've been seeing a lot of fluctuations this January. Looks like Google is brewing something up. Most of the websites I've checked also recorded a January update.

3. Dorfy

Dorfy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The Google PR update in general is late one was due late November/early December, that didn't happen, the word on the street is that there have been further updates to penguin, and once again content and relevance is the key.
    We already know that Backlink Farms have been hit for six, with the downgrading of irrelevant backlinks, so it's anyone guess what they have up their sleeves next.

4. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

With a drop that severe, something must be wrong, but without being able to take a look at the website, the source code, and do some research on the backlinks, it would be not be possible to tell you exactly what's wrong so you can fix it. Can you share the URL with us?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dorfy

Dorfy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Wegreeter.com one of the sites in his siggie ( I am assuming both are his) has a PR of 4, but is not showing as listed in Google, DMoz or Yahoo, but has an Alexa Rank of 159,115, which all considering is good.

The other site is showing PR3 but is listed in Google but not the other two, Alexa Rank is a bit worse at 362,769,

I'm guessing but the delisting in Google could be because of black hat being detected, if it was ever listed, if the poster has a Google account he should really check that, that is where Google will give him the info he wants.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I did a search on the term "live chat service" (without the quotes) and webgreeter.com came up at #14 on Google.

7. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

PR and Rankings shouldn't be correlate to one because they work differently. PR is ranking of individual page and can be seen in the toolbar. To determine SERP rankings they should get a lot of elements and one of it is PR.

I don't think it's because there is black hat but just a fluctuations in the ranking because of an update.

8. Leejeong

Leejeong
    uix_expand uix_collapse

have you checked the Webmaster tools? You might have penalized or something. It's normal to have a fluctuation since Google regularly updates, but the sudden decrease that's a different story.

• Like Like x 1
  9. eurekapsycrille

eurekapsycrille
    uix_expand uix_collapse

TimB first of all, when you encounter a problem like that, don't hesitate to share us your URL. There are lots of factors that can affect your website in SERP. Like Leejeong has said, you should check your webmaster tools.

That's not a normal fluctuation since your website lost a huge ranking place. I think what you have been doing raised a red flag on Google. You should check your link profile through webmaster tools. don't rely on other backlink checker tools since they have different views in regards with backlinks than Google.

10. pentawebexperts

pentawebexperts
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As Business Attorney said now the KW is on number 14 so it is due to the fluctuations going around the Google. I am too facing these fluctuations (Heavy) for my own KWS. May be Google has made some changes in its algorithms and not yet they have announced them right now. So it is assumed to have them publicly soon.

11. mariyajames

mariyajames
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

I think you should check if you have are doing keyword spamming for that particular keyword within your content or meta keywords.

Please check your backlinks you have made for that keywords. May be Google found you suspicious and your keyword ranked down.

I can not say that only backlinks are the main reason that your keyword ranked down. It can be so many other reasons responsible for this.

12. PlotHost

PlotHost
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello ... Maybe this is just a google dance. Wait for at least one week and see the direction. As other dais, there are some movements in google rankings right now.

13. infinityweb

infinityweb
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Keywords being dropped so suddenly really could create a such questions as why did happen?. Ranking of the site is hard so maintain the rank of the keywords also is hard and requires great effort. So I think, Google update must have been weighing things too and having a little twist and turns with the sites is a bit scary as we'll not be so sure if what will happen next. The most possible solution in this case, won't be as easy and sweet as a cake. Though Google updates the site's ranking in a particular time-frame, we really can't be sure of our site's rank.I agree ith what the others advised. Try to give the update of the sites for a little break and wait for the result after.

14. eelizasanchez121

eelizasanchez121
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well It happens when ever Google had any update in its algorithm. In January there are so many fluctuations happened and it not only happen to you but is happening to everybody...

15. soabbd

soabbd
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google has update their algorithm and playing with sites back links records.