Key words in website headers...

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by ErinHeaven, Jul 12, 2010.

1. ErinHeaven

ErinHeaven
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I asked a similar question about using key words in Article writing, but this is sufficiently different as to warrand a new thread...

I'm wondering about using keywords in website headers. If I use more popular terms, I'm concerned about getting lost in the plethora of sites that would come up when searchers used those terms. On the other hand, I'm concerned that if I use more specialized terms, I'll get fewer searchers in general tho my articles might have greater chance of showing up near the top.

Also, on site hosts that allow me to use infinite key words, is more better? I had the idea of posting every state & city name in the US to my key words in order to attract clients looking for services in every area of the country. As I do phone consultation, I am not bound to location. However, a friend told me those are way too many key words & search engines tend to ignore more than 30.

I just want to use my energy to the best effect. Thanks!

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

This thread on Keyword Competitiveness should answer some of your questions and give you some pointers on keyword selection.

As a general guideline I would suggest that each individual webpage should be optimized for about 2 to 3 keywords. Trying to optimize a webpage for 30 different keywords will prove ineffective, unless no one else is using those keywords, which is extremely unlikely.

When you talk about keywords in your site headers, can you please explain where exactly you intend placing them? Are you referring to placing them in the HTML code (e.g. in your meta tags) of your site or are you putting them on the website itself, so that visitors to your site can read them?

3. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Erin:

This is almost the same as your other post about article writing, except for the words "website headers". Since it is now clear you are talking about a website, your purpose is going to be different. The purpose of using keyword phrases in your website, whether in the content or the coding, is to give the search engine's spiders and bots exactly what they are looking for. As Fergal mentioned, it is a good idea to limit yourself to 2 or 3 keywords per page. You can use a different keyword phrase in the Title Tag for each page, making sure they are relevant to the page content. When you write your articles, include 2 or 3 of your keywords as a link back to the relevant page on your website. You can also create a signature for this, and any other forum you may belong to, incorporating 1 of your keywords in each, as a link back to your site. The search engine's bots and spiders will pick up these links, and will rank you higher for the appropriate keyword phrases.
    As far as getting lost in the plethora of sites using popular terms, you'll want to use phrases as popular as you can, to get the most visitors you can.

4. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I find my clients can get SEO when I put it like this. On page it is how you show the search engines what searches you are relevant to. You do that by using keywords. The optimum keywords are high relevance, high search volume, weak competition, and commerciable.

Whenever writing think of it as a balance between making it easy for search engines and people because search engines may crawl your site to rank you but people read it.

Headers should contain a keyword but also if we are talking visible on page headers they should be eye catching and give the reader a reason to bother going further.

5. ErinHeaven

ErinHeaven
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I put the key words both in meta tags & within the site itself. I did pare down to only the relevant ones. Thanks.