Key to a Successful Business - Step1 - Decide Why You Are in Business?

Discussion in 'Articles & Tutorials' started by strawni, Mar 21, 2011.

1. strawni

strawni
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Decide why you are business!

So why are you in business did you feel you could do it better than the boss? Were you a fantastic plumber, fitter, mechanic, and technician and thought well I could be doing this for myself? Whatever the reason you started or are thinking of starting your business you have to decide early on what you want from your business.

It is fundamental to make a decision about this because if you don't you may find yourself in a few years time owning a reasonable sized business and wondering how the hell you got there.

Working from home can seem like an easy option, but the truth is, it requires determination and focus to even get started. There can be so many distractions and it is easy to waste a lot of time.

Starting out can be the biggest decision of all. Make a list of your particular skills, maybe look at old CV's and outline your skills and training. Then identify which of these skills you want to use in your new role. Some people use this time as an opportunity to start something completely different, so it is important to be clear as to where you would like your new business to take you, which particular business sector interests you.

During my time as a start up business adviser I have worked with hundreds of individuals who all dream of being their own boss.

One of the first things I ask them is what is their vision - where do they see their enterprise being in six months, 1 year, 5 years.

At that point I can immediately tell if someone has what it takes.
    If I see certainty in their eyes
    If I see passion
    If I see excitement and drive
    If I see willingness to take a risk
    then I know that individual has what it takes. With some good, solid mentoring and support, a viable business idea, a detailed plan of action and some cash behind them, I feel confident that the person sitting in front of me has what it takes to run a successful business.

Thanks

2. laura

laura
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Goal setting and targets is a really good way to see how well you are doing and it gives the individual focus - you have some great tips