Keeping busy and being productive

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by djschwab, Oct 6, 2008.

1. djschwab

djschwab
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When you are just starting out in business, you need to constantly find activities that will help you grow your business. You have to avoid spending too much time on things that will not help to produce results. Your time is extremely valuable, so make sure it is being spent on productive activities.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

When you are not busy and productive, you should remember that your competitors are working hard to serve your customers better than you.

It is also important not to be a busy fool. There is always something to be done, but is it bringing you closer to the results you want? It is useful to view our efforts in terms of the results they produce rather than the amount of work or time we put into them.

Have you any practical tips on being productive, DJ?

3. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When there's not that many customers and you're not busy, I do agree that you can do some tasks to keep you busy and also so that you won't have so much things to do at the end of the day. There are instances, however, that you might not be able to see customers coming in your shop when you're busy doing these tasks. It would be good to look up from time to time to see if you have customers or not.

I had experienced this first hand when I wanted to buy some pastries from a bakery shop. Their staff were so busy that when I tried to get their attention, I felt like they just ignored me. I walked off and went to buy from another shop instead.

With this example, it should be stressed that the things you should do to be more productive should be focused on the customer.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's a good example Nazreen. Our first priority should always be to serve the needs of profitable customers. We don't have a business without them.

5. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I read recently that you should ask yourself " is this bringing me closer to my goals?" when you're really busy. Look at what you're doing more closely.

Don't kid yourself that it's work/research etc when it's really not. For example, chatting with your buddy for an hour on IM does not constitute networking just because you're both in business. ;)

6. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As it is being said that hard work may not matter most It's always the Smart Work that has edge !!!!
    YEAH doing smart work is the key to success .
    As said by djschwab- time is extremely valuable, so make sure it is being spent on productive activities.
    Thats the implementation of Smart work.

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That is a very good question. First of all you need to be clear on what your goals are. If you are doing something that is not helping you achieve your goal, then ask why are you doing it?

8. youbetcha1018

youbetcha1018
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is true. I value my time so much, that whenever I am not doing anything and I am not busy I make sure that my time is spent with my family and I think that is still counted as being productive.:)

9. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've always believed that balancing work and life (especially if you have a family) is necessary. For people who are working at home they might be physically present at home, but they're not psychologically and mentally present. It's difficult to separate work from life when you're working at home.

For those who have outside jobs, in most cases, there's already a barrier between life and work. They work and live at two different places so when they go home, their minds already know that work is over.

Since you're working from home Youbetcha, how do you separate life and work? Do you set-up boundaries so that you know that it's time to stop work and spend time with your family? What happens when you are called by one of your "online bosses" during your time with family?

10. youbetcha1018

youbetcha1018
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Very good question Nazreen. I have 2 rest days which are saturday and sunday. I make sure that during those days, no bosses will interrupt me from spending my time with my family. During work hours, I still have time to cook food for them. During the weekdays, I still find time to go out with my family and bring them to malls. My online jobs during the day doesn't require working time or hours. I just have to submit my daily after work report. Well, except for my online job during the night. I have to be home before 9pm or I'm late.