Just started to learn some html

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by RestOwner, May 12, 2010.

1. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

that's if I am ever successful when I'm done with the tutorials jeje. anyway I always wondered how to learn some html coding and css, so I stumbled on this cool site that I thought could share with others.

If you are interested here's the link: http://www.html.net/

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Good luck with learning HTML RestOwner, I've spent some time learning it myself. It is quite enjoyable and having some knowledge of HTML really helps you to understand how any website is created and displayed. Another helpful site for learning HTML is http://www.w3schools.com/

When it comes to books, I'd strongly recommend "Build Your Own Web Site the Right Way Using HTML and CSS" by Ian Lloyd. It really is an excellent read, that clearly explains how to get started with HTML and teaches you proper coding habits right from the beginning. I've dipped into quite a few books on HTML and this one is by far the best, I couldn't recommend it highly enough.

3. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good luck with that RestOwner.
    So far I get into HTML and web design when I was still in high school. HTML is included in our computer subject and we were able to build static sites with only using notepad, which is quite enjoyable.

I had a book entitled HTML Basics wherein all you need to know about HTML is included with very good and understandable explanation.
    I definitely suggests you to practice first using Notepad to grasp the HTML tags before going to WYSIWYG software.

4. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

thanks guys, I can really use the luck lol.
    omg this site is great! http://www.w3schools.com/
    thank you Fergal :)

what can you guys tell me about PHP and MySQL, I get confused with those.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

PHP is a more advanced programming language that allows you to create dynamic websites that can be powered by a database. MySQL is a database management system that works very well with PHP. Business Advice Forum is a good example of a site that runs on PHP and MySQL.

You really need to have a good understanding of HTML before learning PHP, so start with HTML before you worry about PHP. W3Schools also has a PHP section when you are ready to learn that.

6. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As Fergal said, PHP and MySQL is more advanced.
    You need to have a good understanding on HTML first before moving on to this.
    Plus, in my opinion, you should be able to build your own static site before moving on.

What I can suggests you is to study in this order:
    HTML > CSS > PHP > MySQL

7. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

oh ok got it. I'll stick with html and css first. thanks guys!

8. agriya

agriya
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good luck with your learning! Building websites 10 years ago was so much easier than it is today! With the tableless CSS layouts that seem to be preferred by the search engines, creating a website can take twice as long as you have to code it all by hand rather than in a platform like Dreamweaver.

If you can become really good in XHTML and CSS, you can even start charging for your services.

9. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Very true. Most older websites uses simple HTML and only have static pages.
    Here's a simple webpage I made several years ago using simple HTML and CSS via Dreamweaver: http://ligersvalley.t35.com/

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Great site Dan, you learn something knew everyday, I'd never known what a liger was. It really sounds like a fantastic and beautiful creature.

11. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

To be honest, I thought Ligers are only fictional thing (as seen in the Zoids anime series). But when I found out that it was a crossbreed between a male lion and a female tiger, I was amazed and thought it will be awesome to use it as my project. My hard word was paved away by getting 100% grade on this. :D

For additional info, a male tiger and a female lion's crossbreed is called Tigon.

12. ConradGarrett

ConradGarrett
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you Restowner for creating this thread, I have basically the same sentiments as yours when it comes to web page designing and I'm a very newbie in this topic. To everyone, especially Fergal thanks for mentioning http://www.w3schools.com/, I badly need it. Same with your suggested book I'll be looking for that.

13. TiaWood

TiaWood
    uix_expand uix_collapse

14. malkyb

malkyb
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can always try a platform like DNN - there are countless modules to use to display you text & images so you don't have to spend forever coding & recoding the CSS as the modules take care of that for you.

15. popeye7262

popeye7262
    uix_expand uix_collapse

HTML editor

A good HTML editor is Kompozer.