Just started an eCommerce store.

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by JBMedia, Sep 11, 2015.

1. JBMedia

JBMedia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey everyone, It's been a while since I've been on here.
    I recently just started an ecommerce store: Sharp Assist
    I've been out of the SEO game now for over 5 years and I can tell it's completely different than it use to be. What would some advice be for me to help me start building my SEO up better and also obtain some more traffic towards to my ecommerce site?

Any suggestions / help is deeply appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jesse

#1 JBMedia, Sep 11, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Some of the rules are the same, some are different. The basic three steps are the same - Keyword Analysis, On-Page Optimization, Off-Page Marketing. Okay, I changed that last one to Off-Page Marketing, instead of Off-Page Optimization, but I just did that now, so others may still refer to it the old way. The first two steps are basically the same as they've always been, except the focus should be on user experience, rather than on making sure you've dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's for SEO. You do want to get the SEO right, but you don't want to focus on SEO at the expense of user experience.
    As far as Off-Page Marketing, it's no longer about getting the most links, or making sure they come from websites with the right domain extension,or any of the minutiae. Links are still important, but your focus should be on educating and informing your intended audience, portraying yourself as an expert in your niche. You have a blog, now add a few links to the content, and share your blog on Facebook, Twitter, and other social networking sites. Write articles and share them on high-quality social bookmarking sites. See if you can get an occasional guest post on a related blog.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JBMedia

JBMedia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the information Joe! I truly appreciate it. Now when you say add a few links to the content, what exactly are you pertaining too? Links that interlink other links on my site? So there's more usability? Also, ideally we definitely want to focus people on being informed in a survival tactical survival industry. That's definitely my main concern. I also have profiles on all the major social media outlets, Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, etc etc. but building a true following is quite hard these day.

Also for articles, as it's beeen a long time since I've done article writing. Should the content be like a blog post? Informative and to the point but also big enough to outline the steps for example? Normally I just post things like that on my blog rather than having an article off somewhere written about it.

Thanks again for all the advice.

4. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

The links in the content of your site are to other pages on the site. Of course, you have to have content first. For your home page, you might write a couple of short paragraphs about what your company is and what you sell. Be careful not to put too many links in the content, though. You already have links to the various categories as photos on the home page, you don't need a list of products in the content.
    You don't want to have links coming only from your blog, because that would look fake. So that's why you write articles as well. You want to have a diverse link profile. Building a following on social media sites is a good way to do this.

5. JBMedia

JBMedia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Got ya. Yeah, I've just recently started putting some serious man hours into Facebook and Instagram but need to get started on Pinterest and Google+ and Youtube. Also, thanks for the information. I'll start writing some articles in the near future. For some reason I thought articles marketing was dead in the water. Do you have any suggestions for a high quality submission site?

6. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I cannot suggest any high quality submission sites because there are none. For the most part, article submission sites submit your article to a large number of websites, resulting in your link profile containing a large number of spam links, which do more to hurt your rankings than help.
    Instead, do some research and build a list of groups on networking sites and social media sites, social bookmarking sites, and industry related websites. Submit your articles to a few of these each month. The reason you build a list is because you want to vary the sites you submit to, as you don't want to have links coming from the same sites every month - that will be a red flag for the search engines.
    I know this is hard, and takes a lot of time, but that's what you need to do to show the search engines that you deserve a top ranking.