Just getting started

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by mjconstr, Sep 28, 2010.

1. mjconstr

mjconstr
    uix_expand uix_collapse

OK let me bore you with my background and why I am now pursuing business online.
    I am 51 years old raising an 8 year old boy and I am or was a contractor that lost tons of money because of this unstable economy. I am in the process at the moment of loosing my condo that my son and I lived in for 8 plus years. The both of us have been living through the stress now for the last 2 years. Now I am working for someone else but they can't pay me enough to keep up.
    Thats just the the beginning but I think you got the point.

Now I want to get started with the online business but I just dont know what to do. I have nowhere to go but up and I have to establish all over again. I have a hard time trusting the sources on line as most of them just want your money. I found this forum and hoped there are some fellow americans here that dont mind helping another get started.

I basically want to sell products from other companies that offer commisions. I need to learn how to set up web pages how to put urls from other companies on my web page and basically be a one source page to many different areas of intrests of the public.

Heres the thing..............I can be a little slow and understanding because lets admit it, it can be very confusing. So I need to know the steps to take starting with the license. sellers permit. what forms and where I can get them that will be needed for the business etc. Every little detail and and the ups and downs. I just need a simple start that will get me going with the understanding that I will have a lot of questions. I am too old to expect good work on the force and nobody wants old people working for them.

Can you help me please, I am looking for someone trustworthy people with patience that will be willing to help a man in dire need.

we can communicate via email or phone if you wish.

Thank you for reading this and at least hearing me out.

Mark

2. VVhite_Angel

VVhite_Angel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Mark, welcome in the BAF forum

Office small business can provide you a simple tool to set web pages. Try to use it, and with practise slowly and with some tutorials on the web (They are a lot) you will learn step by step it :)

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hi Mark, welcome to our business forum and sorry to hear that you are going through difficult times at the moment. Unfortunately your story is all too common these days. We'd be delighted to help you in any way we can and to point you in the right direction. If you can please tell us a little more about your interests skills and experience we will be able to give you more specific help.

If I was you I wouldn't worry about issues such as business registration just yet. Your priority is to get started and get something going that takes in even a small amount of money. I agree with you re many of the online making money programmes that charge you to join and you can start earning without paying for them. The last thing you probably need right now is to spend more money.

Please see links below to articles and threads that would be worth a read;

How To Set Up Your First Website For Beginners - Using Office Live
    How To Set Up Your First Website with WordPress
    Making your first dollar online
    0 to $500 / Mth from Blogging

Once again, please do reply with a little more info on your background and any skills or interests you have, so that we can offer more practical suggestions on how you can get started and start earning an income.

Good luck with it all!

4. rdcclu

rdcclu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Mark--

This is going to be somewhat of an incomplete answer in that I am not going to refer you to the silver bullet.

However, I think I can make some suggestions that will reduce the number of things you think you need to do.

1. First, I would focus on selecting one market, preferably something that you are interested in or know a lot about. That market needs to be large so their are a lot of people interested and looking, not narrow like putting for left-handed golfers. Your product or service must solve a pressing problem. The adage is "People won't pay a nickel to prevent anything, but they will empty their pockets for a cure."
    2. Second, I would begin by just marketing digital products and I would start with Clickbank. Choose products from your chosen market that have high gravity (meaning a lot of other people are selling it) with a decent commission.
    3. Next, go buy a domain name with the main keyword for your market in it. You will have to combine it with one or two other words. GoDaddy will work. .com, .net .org are OK.
    4. Go get an inexpensive hosting account. Use Bluehost.
    5. Then I would put up a free Wordpress blog, get a nice-looking free theme or buy one and make this blog be your main site, in other words, YourDomainName.com. There are videos on YouTube that show you how to do this. Very easy. If you buy a paid theme from http://www.socratestheme.com/ (not an affiliate link), you can get help about how to set your blog up right as part of your purchase.
    6. Make one page of your site a "lead capture" page. Offer a free report, video, white paper, e-course in exchange for their filling out the form giving you their name and email address. Get a graphic of your freebie.
    7. Go sign up for AWeber. Now you have an autoresponder. Fill the follow up emails to your opt-in with a message every day for 3-4 days, then every week keep adding until you eventually have 52 follow up emails. The emails should provide very useful information 2/3 of the time and sell a product 1/3 of the time.
    8. Get a free trial of Market Samurai and do keyword research starting with the broadest keyword for your market. Drill down until you find keywords that have <100,000 competing pages, and at leas 100 searches per day.
    9. Write (or have written for you) 30 articles, each optimized for one of these keywords. Put the keyword in the title and have a keyword density of about 1%. Make your resource box a source of additional information and set your keyword to as one anchor-text (Google how to do this) link pointing to your site and the other a regular link pointing to your lead capture page. Every day put one article up on your site/blog. Get the tags from high searched-for terms using Market Samurai. Then post the article a couple days later on EzineArticles and 2-3 other top article directories.
    10. Research ways to drive traffic to your squeeze page. This forum is full of them. Only pick 1-2 you like and get good at them.

Then tomorrow (just kidding)...

This will not put you on easy street quickly, but it at least will get you pointed in the right direction. I'm sure you know from your own business experience it is relatively easy to make mid-course corrections as long as you are moving forward. Other things that you will need to learn will appear by themselves. When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

Good luck.

5. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Mark, I'm really sorry to hear about your situation and admire you very much for the way you're trying to turn it all around. You've been given a lot of very good advice to absorb already, so take heart. :)

I agree with Fergal. Let's get you moving along first and foremost. :) Please just ask about anything that's mentioned or terminology you're not clear on too. Someone will never be that far away that can help clear it up for you. Once you tell us a bit more on your background/skills/interests as Fergal suggested, we'll be able to help more.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's an excellent step by step outline of how to start making money online Bob. Thanks for such a great post. If you'd like to copy it and make a tutorial out of it (with a link to your site) for our Articles & Tutorials section, I'd be delighted to approve it.

ClickBank is a great place to start. You can buy a product there yourself and test it. If it's a quality product you will be happy to recommend it to your customers and your recommendation will carry a lot of weight because it is based on your own personal experience of it. If the product is not to your liking and you don't feel it can help you or your customers, you can get a full refund from ClickBank, so it won't have cost you anything.

7. Jahan Choudhry

Jahan Choudhry
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Mark once you do what Bob has suggested the next step will be the marketing.

As you obviously know no business survives without marketing and this is the same online, thus a lot of people's interest in SEO (Search Engine Optimization), a fancy term but which basically means that when people look for the thing you do or sell on google, your site will appear at the front.

Most people aren't really going to look through 19 pages to get the product/service they want.

There are plenty of threads regarding this.

Good luck.