Joining a Local Networking Group?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Bwendo, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Bwendo

Bwendo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Have you any experience with joining a local networking group?

These last few months I have attended a couple of weekday breakfast meetings for a local business networking group. The group is a part of a larger international business network and has thousands of worldwide members, and they have made moves towards me enrolling for an annual fee of around $1500.

Now that amazed me a bit, but they said it was well worth the money, so I kept listening.

I watched as they handed out little bits of paper to each other with referrals they had gathered for each other during the course of their business week. It was quite impressive to see the accountant had referred the tiler and the plumber had referred the graphic designer across their workplaces.

My question is do you have any experience of Networking Groups and have they had an impact on your business? Have you been referred or invited to join?

2. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think it really depends on what type of business you are in. If it's too corporate or obscure, it's hard to get much benefit out of these. Most people who attend such events will likely be small business owners, real estate agents, insurance agents, and the like. If you can see some type of referral opportunity with such folks as well as perhaps some of them being potential customers, then it might be worth it.