Job Interview

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by bronzetheking, Feb 9, 2015.

1. bronzetheking

bronzetheking
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have little achievements in my college years. Can I use some of my highschool achievements like I won a regional competition of broadcasting? I am a graduating marketing student.

2. adriankiller

adriankiller
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have attended a job preparation seminar many times and same question was asked there, the experts said that it's not necessary to include your achievements in your resume just to impress them. The HR will be the one will investigate or make a research with your educational background and other info's about you, to make sure that you're not an ALIEN! or a ROBOT!

3. IrekJanek

IrekJanek
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It seams to me like you should start with your resume. The art of a successful interview is important but to get there you need to start with an awesome resume. Your job interview should match your resume. I'm not saying that you should put your achievements in your resume but you should include the activity that you were involved and in the interview you can talk about achievements (if asked that is). I hope it makes sense to you.

4. lomey

lomey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What is the problem? normal people with normal academic record qualify a interview. All you need is to be natural and apply where is feeling confident of working. At most you may disqualify, but this disqualification is a step towards qualifying one very soon. Be patience and a intelligent learner.

5. lynxus

lynxus
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ok, what I would say is..

IF you think its relevant to the post you are applying for , then yes include it.
    Experience, Achievements, Anything! that is relevant!

TIPS:
    1) A CV should only really be 2 pages, nothing more.
    2) Bullet points. No long paragraphs about your skills.
    3) Do a few paragraphs on your current role and what you are looking for.

DON'T over do it.. People get bored reading CV's.. Short, simple, concise!

We don't care about swimming certificates at school ( Unless you are applying to be a life guard I guess... )
    Ideally, you don't really want to include anything from School. Only some from College. We normally want to see real world achievements and things you may of done in previous roles.
    Obviously, if you don't have any of that, include school etc. But this should really be a last option.

6. atlantisrocks

atlantisrocks
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Listing achievements in high school without comparable achievements in college could be a negative signal and could raise serious questions.

For example: Why did you stop achieving? Are you no longer as motivated to achieve as you were in high school?

The solution is simple:

Start achieving something NOW!

For example, work with a small business (even for free) to help them increase sales. Help a business owner design an effective marketing brochure. There are plenty of businesses that would appreciate your help.

Build that resume!

7. Geekion

Geekion
    uix_expand uix_collapse

They always want some work achievement, not academic. But, you can always count on your experience because in the end they choose the most experienced one.

• Like Like x 1
    #7 Geekion, Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2015
  8. pry11

pry11
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes they want achievement but it should be related to position your applying or which shows your qualities, skills like if you have organised any event then it will show that you have leader quality and you are good in team work ,
    You just cant mentioned anything randomly about your achievements in your resume , there are few things that should not include in your resume.

9. Kevin Peter

Kevin Peter
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

Bronzetheking, consider mastering the digital marketing aspect. You have options into Marketing communication, Product marketing, Social Media Marketing, SEO, Ad Words. Prepare yourself before the interview based on the company you would go to!

10. bronzetheking

bronzetheking
    uix_expand uix_collapse

that's what I am trying to do actually. leaving them with a good impression to make way into their company. so I'll be relying on my grades then?

11. bronzetheking

bronzetheking
    uix_expand uix_collapse

it does makes sense to me. thank you! I won a broadcasting competition, i thought I could make it as an edge.

- - - - Posts Merged - - - -

I'm not really good at interviews. my problem is I over think especially when I feel under pressure.

12. bronzetheking

bronzetheking
    uix_expand uix_collapse

this is very helpful! thank you very much!

13. bronzetheking

bronzetheking
    uix_expand uix_collapse

thank you! I did what you suggested. I work at Mcdonald's. I'm building this up!

- - - - Posts Merged - - - -

thank you for the link! very helpful :)

14. bronzetheking

bronzetheking
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I will look for a school that offers this master's degree. is this what is in right now?

15. dobiloan

dobiloan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Depends on the achievement you are going to put; if it is helpful or not.

16. bronzetheking

bronzetheking
    uix_expand uix_collapse

thank you for your reply!

17. mjhaider78

mjhaider78
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Achievement is required but apart from achievement you should also select right job opportunity because if you are going for a wrong career then it will ruin your past experience and you will not be able to get a higher salary package due to this.

18. glennmartin

glennmartin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Actually I want to suggest you to if you want to add achievements, always remember that it has to be in relevance with the job you are seeking, only then would it bring value to your resume, else you are just increasing the size and making the HR loose interest. If you are fresher, if you think those act as an example to demonstrate your communication skills or you ability to improve efficiency, profitability or save time in the respective job you are applying for, go ahead and provide it. Else, it is of no use.

19. B2025

B2025
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think you can use them if they are meaningful. Don't pick things like "captain of the rowing team" --- however --- winner of the regional debate competition would be impressive.... valedictorian would be impressive. depends on the nature of the accomplishment.

You should be careful also to let them know that you have much more to offer than just what you've done in high school.... you understand that these are not the accomplishments that would get you the position, but they do indicate capability..... then stress some of your academic coursework, internships, studies, in graduate school, and tell them how these areas are relevant to the position --- make them understand that value, and you will have made a good case for yourself!

20. Kevin Peter

Kevin Peter
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

If it is your first job, your attitude and approach towards work ethics along with your interest in it matters. Every interviewer knows that you have very little knowledge as soon as you pass out fresh.