Is your interest in buying influenced by a website's design?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Kay, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Does a dated looking website put you off doing business with someone or would that not concern you? There are some truly ugly 80's style sites still out there, particularly when it's small businesses, complete with clipart and/or blinking text etc.

I'm full of questions tonight! :)

2. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Not usually, but it is the back dated thinking that sours me most. I hardly ever do business with anyone any more with out contacting first.

Could be worse, could be something other than questions.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Definitely, it's difficult to trust a seller with an outdated website, you may even wonder if they are still in business. An attractive modern site helps build consumer confidence and trust.

4. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No, a design won't impress me. But, the impressive domain is what all matters. I don't care because design can be lended anytime when impressive domain is worth at hand.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

One thing that particularly annoys me is when I see a most recent "Latest News" story that is a couple of years old. It doesn't give the impression that they give attention to the website and I wonder what if anything will happen to my order.

6. Neuma

Neuma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It would only be an eye-catcher, as long the business is worth the time and money its fine with me.

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Would your impression of the website not influence your belief as to whether the "usiness is worth the time and money", especially if it was your first time to view the website or the website was your first contact with the business?

8. videe

videe
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For me, no problem with the design. As long as it has clear contact person and offer. Point plus if the feedback from the person is fast (or can be reached online). That's all matter for me :)

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Looks like I'm in the minority. Have you actually bought from sites that look outdated or have poor design? Any examples?

10. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm really surprised to see the responses to this thread. There's no way I'd purchase anything from a website that looked dated, stale or uncared for. Fergal's example of the Latest News is a great one. If they haven't moved with the times and updated their site from decades ago, what does that say about how important they feel their online business (and by extension, the customer's business that they'd be getting) is? It doesn't exactly show dedication or a passion for their product.

11. VenalTech

VenalTech
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Subconsciously, appearance matters for everyone, to some degree. Colors, layouts, etc. all impact your thought process. If a company like Pepsi had a terrible website, you wouldn't stop drinking it for that reason, because Pepsi is a familiar, trusted brand, but it still impacted you in some way, shape, or form.

It matters more when you are dealing with an unfamiliar company. You don't usually have much to judge them on to begin with.

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Good point, hugely successful and smart companies wouldn't invest a lot of money in building quality sites, if the investment didn't pay off for them.

Association is also an important factor. As you say most people wouldn't stop buying Pepsi if they had a poor quality website, but they would associate Pepsi with something of poor quality and this would change their perception of the brand and impact on their buying behaviour, in the longer term.

13. shyflower

shyflower
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Amazon.com? They've made a few minor changes over the years, more modern sidebars (rounded corners - WOW!), but overall, the site layout hasn't changed much. They've added some things like Kindle and audio clips, too, but it seems as if their general layout "works" for them and they haven't tinkered with it much.

I do agree though that some sites do look 90-ish, but then some sites just look "ish" and they may be new or old. Design is, IMHO, purely subjective. What works for one person is deplorable to another.

I think more important than the design, is that the visitor continually sees new content and new ways to access content (such as Amazon's kindle and audio clips).

14. Wedo12345

Wedo12345
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I prefer the quality of the information on the website to the aged look of the site. I like the new look of sites but if a site shows me they know what they are talking about I will buy from them.

15. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Interesting point, I'm a regular Amazon shopper myself. Their design is not ultra modern yet it is still user-friendly and professional in appearance, hence I'm happy to shop there.

However, if I came across a site for the first time that matched the OP's description below, I'd find it very difficult to trust it and make a purchase or give them my credit card details.

16. shyflower

shyflower
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Those are the styles you see in many of Vincent Flander's "Web Pages that Suck". :D

Something like the 2008 winner.

#16 shyflower, Jul 1, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  17. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

:) That's a perfect example. However, I'm sure winning the award brought it quite a bit of publicity and lots of traffic.

18. shyflower

shyflower
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Probably so, but did they get any conversions? I truly doubt it.

19. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I doubt it too, I know I wouldn't buy from them. What they need to do is to stick some Adsense ads up there. Visitors will probably be in such a hurry to leave the site that they will get a good click through rate and earn decent revenue.

20. Mynameis...

Mynameis...
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nice question you asking.
    Well ofcourse when the design of the website is sophisticated & new, you will feel comfortable when dealing with it as a client, because it would seem more professional and so. But, this doesn't mean that old style websites don't attract users, since users (clients) are attracted by the contents and not the design. For example, if ebay changed its outlook to a more traditional one, it would absolutely don't lose and of its clients.