Is website speed an important ranking factor?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by michael84p, May 20, 2010.

1. michael84p

michael84p
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi! I’ve got some mails abaut the website speed as an important factor in google’s search result. How can it affect my website’s traffic?

I tried to uninstall modules what I do not need from my drupal website, but I have no idea how to make my site faster? What abaut a better webhost ?

2. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, it has recently been added as a factor affecting site rankings, however, it is a small portion.

It can affect your traffic as you won't be ranked as well. Being ranked #2 does have a difference with ranking as #1. Just a small 2 cm gap between #1 and #2 can be a major traffic difference and so keeping your site clean and fast will ensure you have that check box ticked for your site's ranking.

A faster web host is always recommended, and especially Linux hosting. I would look at Pingdom Tools to see where your site is going slow. Usually its images so reducing the amount of images on the homepage is recommended, or keeping them as a .jpg (although quality is reduced).

3. nirose

nirose
    uix_expand uix_collapse

ya it does affect your ranking by a small portion but the main factors are SEO and backlinks which will help you get better ranking then your competitors

Just try some speed load testing sites and some also provide compression ideas for css and html which you can use to speed up your site.
    you can try this site
    http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/

4. brownnataly21

brownnataly21
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Because of the high competition, Google had decided to include such a factor when ranking sites, but I think it's not too fair as sometimes the speed of the site doesn't depend on the site.

5. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's a fair comment to make, however, it is the owner's choice of which host to go with. If they want to be the best, they have the host with the best, to get the best results possible.

6. Fowler

Fowler
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Don't forget that website speed does affect users even when the find you. You could be top of the search results for your keywords but that is useless if the site is slow and members get fed up and leave and go elsewhere. It may harm you to a limited extent when it comes to ranking sites in search results but i think the main impact is on losing users when they find you.

7. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes. It has been recently added on Google webmaster tools.
    If you want to check your site's loading speed, you can visit this site: http://www.iwebtool.com/speed_test
    Please do note that results may vary from time to time.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Webmasters often forget that what's good for your users, is generally good for your SEO. It makes sense, because Google and the other search engines want to present their users with the sites that they are looking for and meet that meet the searcher's requirements. Showing poor results would not help the search engines, so they do their utmost to ensure that their results only include quality sites.