Is unusual meta tag can affected SEO ranking?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by patrick0001, Nov 17, 2011.

1. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Is unusual meta tag can affected SEO ranking? one of my client inserted below code:

<meta name="copyright" content="Copyright 2004-2011">

<meta name="Charset" content="ISO-8859-1">

<meta name="Distribution" content="Global">

<meta name="Rating" content="General">

<meta name="Robots" content="INDEX,FOLLOW">

<meta name="Revisit-after" content="1 Day">

2. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

First time I heard about these META tags... I'll be waiting for some answers on these.

3. band

band
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Most answer can be find at http://www.metatags.org/meta_name_distribution

If you wish to rate your page's audience appropriateness, use the rating meta tag.
    This meta tag is often use to let the younger web-surfers know the content is appropriate. If you use this tag the wrong way (call an adult website safe for kids is bad!) you will get banned for live.

The meta tag distribution defines the level or degree of distribution of your web-page and how it should be classified in relation to methods of distribution on the world wide web. There are currently only three forms of distribution supported by the distribution tag:
    Global - indicates that your web-page is intended for everyone,
    Local - intended for local distribution of your document,
    IU - Internal Use, not intended for public distribution.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

This is the first time I have seen these as well. As a sales rep, I was only aware of three tags that would affect SEO - the Title Tag, Description, and Keywords. The "Keywords" tag is self-explanatory - these are the keywords you want your webpage to be ranked for. Don't use more than 20 for a single page. The "Title" tag and "Description" should also contain keywords, but not as many as the "Keywords" tag. In fact, if you look at a website's "Title" tag and "Description" meta tag, and then look at the same site's listing in the SERPs, the "title" tag is the first thing you see in their listing. The smaller text underneath is the "Description" meta tag. This makes it easier for the searcher to determine whether or not a website has exactly what they are looking for.

5. AliceNolan

AliceNolan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I know all of these tags. These are normal tags for SEO Expert. Every tag is useful and provide information to google bots and direct . instruct them on various information.

6. stellaandreapark

stellaandreapark
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A Meta tag is basically an HTML tag, whose job is to furnish data to search engines (SE) regarding the kind of information present on the webpage. The purpose of a Meta tag is to add information and steer the SE spiders. Meta tags are an important tool to search engine optimize (SEO) a website.

7. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You know them? Hopefully, you can explain to us what those meant...

8. band

band
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Does all SEO expert using this code?

9. TisdaleJohn

TisdaleJohn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Definitely unusual meta tag put your ranking lower in the SERP.

10. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

As I mentioned in a previous post, I am only a sales rep, so, although I know quite a bit about SEO, the specific coding of a website is "above my pay grade". I am guessing the "copyright" tag would be important because of the age of the site, but why would the "Charset" tag be important to SEO?

Could you be a little more specific about what you mean by "unusual"? I know that not using them properly, for instance, using too many keywords in the "Title" tag or "Description" meta tag might raise a red flag, but why would the use of an unusual meta tag hurt your SEO? Or did you mean using a meta tag in an unusual way?

11. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm still confused on the use of meta tags of SEO. Others say it's needed, while others say that it doesn't really help, although it doesn't hurt to add one.

12. jack123456

jack123456
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A Meta tag is generally an HTML tag, whose job is to supply information to Google (SE) regarding the type of details provide on the website. The objective of a Meta tag is to add details and lead the SE robots. Meta information are an important instrument to seo increase (SEO) a website.

13. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ok. That's the meaning of MetaTag. Do you know how the tags above works?

14. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This kind of meta tag is not affecting the SERP. This is just to give idea to the bot how your site working.

15. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

But the bot would work just fine without them, right?

16. jack123456

jack123456
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A Meta tag is generally an HTML tag, whose job is to supply information to google (SE) regarding the type of details provide on the website. The objective of a Meta tag is to add details and lead the SE robots. Meta information are an important instrument to seo increase (SEO) a website.

17. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ooookay... But what about the meta-tags posted by the OP?

18. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

<meta name="copyright" content="Copyright 2004-2011">
    It's how you explain that the photos and the text on your website are protected.
    <meta name="copyright" content="name of owner">
    source: http://www.metatags.org/meta_name_copyright

<meta name="Charset" content="ISO-8859-1">
    To promote interoperability, SGML requires that each application (including HTML) specify its document character set. A document character set consists of:

A Repertoire: A set of abstract characters,, such as the Latin letter "A", the Cyrillic letter "I", the Chinese character meaning "water", etc.
    Code positions: A set of integer references to characters in the repertoire.

Each SGML document (including each HTML document) is a sequence of characters from the repertoire. Computer systems identify each character by its code position; for example, in the ASCII character set, code positions 65, 66, and 67 refer to the characters 'A', 'B', and 'C', respectively.

source: http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/charset.html#doc-char-set

The meta tag distribution defines the level or degree of distribution of your web-page and how it should be classified in relation to methods of distribution on the world wide web. There are currently only three forms of distribution supported by the distribution tag:

1. Global - indicates that your web-page is intended for everyone,
    2. Local - intended for local distribution of your document,
    3. IU - Internal Use, not intended for public distribution.

If you wish to rate your page's audience appropriateness, use the rating meta tag.

This meta tag is often use to let the younger web-surfers know the content is appropriate. If you use this tag the wrong way (call an adult website safe for kids is bad!) you will get banned for live.
    source:http://www.metatags.org/meta_name_rating

<meta name="Robots" content="INDEX,FOLLOW"> and <meta name="Revisit-after" content="1 Day">
    Are already given. They affect how your page will be indexed by SEs and how frequent it will be visited.