Is twitter and facebook is useful in SEO?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Grame, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Grame

Grame
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am sure that we can get more traffic from twitter and facebook. But, is it helpful on SEO? Will having links on twitter and facebook help to get more SERP?

2. malkyb

malkyb
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As far as I am aware the links you create in social media are all no follow links so won't improve your rankings. You may get extra traffic by people following the links however.....Google at least seems very interested in social media at the moment. The trouble is that unless you have unlimited time in the day, nothing better to do or can employ someone to update twitter / facebook etc how can a small business keep up. Websites that have great content could fall by the wayside simply because they can't keep up with the demands on their time.....

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'd agree with malkyb, those links probably won't help your position in the search engine rankings. However, when done right social media marketing can greatly improve targeted awareness and traffic to your site. Please do let us know if you have a particular site that you would like some SEO or online marketing help with.

4. newfossil

newfossil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Grame - these guys are right. Most social media sites use nofollow link attributes which don't influence your rankings for keywords. However you can optimize your social media profiles to enhance their search engine visibility. Just another opportunity lock down a spot on the search results page.

5. realitybites.in

realitybites.in
    uix_expand uix_collapse

malkyb is correct and thous link have no importance ...twitter and facebook help a lot in Socail Media

6. saracriss

saracriss
    uix_expand uix_collapse

All social networking websites such as facebook, twitter etc are only for generating traffic, google and other search engine not focused for ranking prospect.

7. LA Electrician

LA Electrician
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes - I think it would definitely help with SEO.

-LA Electrician
    electricconnection.com

8. Caleb Spilchen

Caleb Spilchen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Twitter is indexed live in Google and you can sometimes (depending on the amount of tweets at that point) see a live feed of tweets in your google search.

That's not SEO but it's obviously getting your name out on the Google Search Engine.

Caleb Spilchen

9. bonitasen

bonitasen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

They are more helpful towards traffic and product recognition. After all if anyone goes through the links, will reflect SEPR. They are also fine for crawling.

10. Tawfek Shalaby

Tawfek Shalaby
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yes because you will get alotof trafic from it

11. CloptonCapital

CloptonCapital
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Social media is largely "inbound marketing" only, it is not usually of any benefit to SEO/SERPS

people always say things like this as if getting indexed by Google or other search engines is hard. I've gotten pages indexed in less than an hour before, the search engines want to index you, there isn't any trick to it. Goto a site like pingfarm.com and hit it. BAM, there it is in the search engine.

#11 CloptonCapital, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2011
  12. William King

William King
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yup all the social media sites use nofollow attributes for the links but as most of your guys know that the Google is interested more in the reputation of the site more than the links the site have and example is the panda update. Google will now give the better rankings to your site in the SERP if your page is liked by the good companies in your niche similarly if your tweet is retweeted by someone who has very good reputation and famous

13. Howarde

Howarde
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey....
    AS far as i think social media sites are great source for generating traffic just because there a lot of user so these are very effective for traffic but they couldn't play any rule in ranking of website...

14. Brishen36

Brishen36
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello friends...!
    In my point of view twitter and facebook are really useful to generate traffic on website as well as increase the ranking of website....!

15. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The position has actually changed since I made that post. Google are now putting more emphasis on links from social networking sites, especially those they consider to have good authority on those sites and even when the links are tagged with the no-follow tag.

16. William King

William King
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is exactly what I was trying to say Fergal :)

17. wadeinni

wadeinni
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The quickest answer?? simply yes. I just posted about this on a similar thread on this forum. Twitter and Facebook likes and tweets signals are now major deciding factors in your search engine ranking according to recent Google and Microsoft Bing announcements. Your shares and likes generated from content you produce on those social networks are now a part of what search engines refer to as "Social Authority". I for one am anxious to see how the numbering in the ranking is decided, but it's new and there is so much more they have to announce about it.

18. vanessalane

vanessalane
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'd agree with u :D

19. wadeinni

wadeinni
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Unless I misunderstood your reply, I must confidently say this is not true anymore. Interactions between your website and users on Twitter and Facebook are officially now ranking factors in the Google and Bing search algorithm. This was recently announced by both big search engines. It's referred to as your social authority. The more likes, retweets, shares, and niche related followers you have, the higher your "Social Authority" rank and the higher your site's search engine rank will be.

20. syed2011

syed2011
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you ask me i suggest you to always go for DO FOLLOW links rather then NO FOLLOW links.. coz there will be no much use if you provide links in no follow or social networking sites.