Is twitter a promotion tool or a spam tool?

Discussion in 'Social Media for Business' started by Thanoz, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Thanoz

Thanoz
    uix_expand uix_collapse

After years of twitter experience, i see that twitter trends to become something more than a promotion tool. Actually, it tends to become the ultimate spam tool.
    Consider these yourselves. How many cloacked affiliate links you have clicked in the last year? How many people you follow, that tweet only links(99% affiliate links)? How many twitter accounts are just.. autotweets?
    I actually would suggest the "Who to follow" tagline on the left to be replaced with "API to follow" or "Bot/Autotwitter to follow".
    Except for celebrities that spam their day around in twitter everythings tends to become automated and spammy. It's really annoying but maybe it's time for a change..

What do you think? I would love to hear some opposite views.(Who knows, i may actually change my mind) :cool:

• Like Like x 3
  2. Krisz Rokk

Krisz Rokk
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Twitter is still a useful social media platform but I agree with you when it comes to the 'number of robots'.... seems it's increasing on a daily basis.
    Basically if the Twitter ROI isn't working - well than focus more on medias like FB, LinkedIn or Google+.
    I've become a huge fan of Google+ Hangouts. An awesome way to communicate and be there for your target audience.

3. StarkSEM

StarkSEM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I personally never do anything with Twitter.

Twitter itself was made for people to spam. What is it? 140 characters maximum? It's people saying "OMG my PJ sndwch is Yummy" all day.

The Botting and the Affiliate Marketing just makes it so much worse.

Facebook is the only social media platform I've had success with personally.

4. BAFHarvest

BAFHarvest
    uix_expand uix_collapse

twitter is a social networking site, so there would be no issue of spammers at all. by just following the rules of how many person to follow, you would then be good. i still consider it a promotion tool though, since i am working on it. :)

5. Thanoz

Thanoz
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, twitter was never to compare with Facebook/Google+. For me it's useless to do the comparison since they have a huge difference in their philoshopy. Twitter evens has limits(not only in the message characters) that don't apply in regular social networks.
    @BAFHarvest, you use it for promoting right?(at least i understood so) You think you are updating your status and you promote/inform people, but do they really get it? I use it for promotion reasons too, not my personal account, but some company accounts. I definitely think that even though some of our tweets are informative 7/10 are spammy in a way.(and spam is not just affiliate link posting, look at it in a wider view).

6. BAFHarvest

BAFHarvest
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yes, i am using it as an advertising tool. i post some information about the site i am advertising with. i could say it works, since many of them also love the site that i am marketing on. i know they would not consider it spam, since i use it in an appropriate way that it would not look abusive, :) thanks for that anyway!

7. williamluke01

williamluke01
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm agree with you,that's why i hate twitter.I have many follower,but i can't get any traffic from that.Mostly are spammer or webmaster,so you can't expect to visit your site.

8. BAFHarvest

BAFHarvest
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i know that fact, but if you have followers who know you personally and does introduce your site. then that would be great. its not that you just have to get followers, thus, you must also think that you are inviting partners that would help you advertise. :).

9. Thanoz

Thanoz
    uix_expand uix_collapse

@BAFHarvest, you said it right but that's the problem..
    (from twitter meta description).
    The whole philosophy of following your friends, check on breaking news has nearly eclipsed and become the promo tool it is now.
    Perhaps..
    could be a better description.

10. Greg-first

Greg-first
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It can be used to increase traffic, but a maximum of 50-100 people a day. But if you have interesting information and well-known company, then the traffic will be more.

11. TurnKey Internet

TurnKey Internet
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It can be a valuable promotional tool, but the spam does slow things down.

12. BAFHarvest

BAFHarvest
    uix_expand uix_collapse

oh, i see! i agree. :)

13. nashir

nashir
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's didn't like to me. 140 Character isn't all..

14. Thanoz

Thanoz
    uix_expand uix_collapse

@Nashir, again that's its philoshopy.

This is the evolution scheme.
    Blogger -> Tumblr -> Twitter
    In other words..
    Blogging -> micro-blogging -> micro-microblogging aka tweeting

But that's human nature. Instead of sharing littler news or descriptions we tend to right a lot with awful inproper grammar and spam >.>

• Like Like x 1
  15. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with you, when a social media manager require to manage 50 - 100 over account, the only for them to fulfill the job is relied on automate system.
    Spammer is attack all places regardless twitter, google+ FB, forum, social bookmark, blog. 7/10 are very close 2/8 principle, the most important the 20% tweet generate 80% conversion.

16. smartkathy

smartkathy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

As per my opinion twitter is still a useful promotion tool. If you are use as real user only.

17. Thanoz

Thanoz
    uix_expand uix_collapse

18. johansmith

johansmith
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i think twitter is a sapm tool, because is we want we can submit any post and any kind....

19. nvir477

nvir477
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Twitter is still a useful social media platform

20. danadlington

danadlington
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I use twitter a lot and I have had sign ups with it in the past. My approach with twitter is a manual one. I used to use Tweetadder but now I use it manually. I still think it can be useful.