Is this a good exchange?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Preemo, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Preemo

Preemo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey there,

I have a friend from school who designs graphics (it's safe to say he's really good) and he has his own YouTube channel, and is a member of loads of Graphic sites. So he has a fair few fans!

He asked me if I'd host his site on my servers (and he'd buy the domain name) if he created unlimited graphics for me, providing I don't ask for too much of him, which I wouldn't as it's rare that I desperately need a graphic. However, it got me thinking, he could design my companys Twitter and Facebook graphics, and maybe even design a new logo before we launch properly.

What does everyone think? Does it seem like a good deal?

Regards
    Ryan

2. TheNova

TheNova
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Personally, for a good logo you are talking at least $40.00, and a little more for the Twitter and Facebook graphics. Are you prepared to host his website for ever for the sake of around $60.00-$80.00? That would buy hosting for around 2 years, so my suggestion would be to say to him that you should take it 1 year at a time. At least then if he becomes out of contact, somebody moves or the programmes he uses to design break, then your not out of pocket too much. So tell him you will host him for either 6 months or 1 year and before each of those billing cycles end, review how well he has done in exchange for hosting and if your satisfied with the graphics etc, I don't see why you shouldn't continue his hosting after your set periods.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Preemo

Preemo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That isn't a bad idea. I'll have to get a small contract written up, just to confirm this all.

I'm going to be kind, and say a yearly cycle at the moment - however I may reduce this to 6 months after the first year :)

4. TheNova

TheNova
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That sounds like a good plan. At least then both sides are happy and I think the contract will be a good idea. I hope everything goes well, and if you have any more questions, do not hesitate to ask the members here :).

5. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is a good deal, it is not easy to find a friend with the skill that can help you
    I will definitely go for the deal

6. Gary Barzel

Gary Barzel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would definitely sign a contract on a yearly basis. Also if he is a designer with a good reputation, then you are really getting yourself a good deal. Professional graphic design rates average anywhere from $30 to $75 per hour. I'm not talking about the cheap ones you see advertised for less money, I'm talking about the ones you hire for your business that create for you a logo that can leave a long and deep impression on your customers mind. Remember a professional logo design goes a long way to establish the identity and exude the attitude of the company.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It definitely sounds like a good deal for you Preemo. Many of his clients will be webmasters and hence they will also be potential clients of yours. I'd suggest also asking him if he would also include a "Hosted by ..." link on his site, as part of the deal.

8. John Million

John Million
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Don't forget you don't need to cover the monthly price of your web hosting in his graphics, but rather your cost, to make this profitable. Contract or no, just make sure he's not thinking this is a one-time favor for a lifetime of service. You need to get work out of him on a regular basis.

9. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Really Unlimited graphics?
    I'd probablytake advantage of this opportunity and partner with him at the same time, say you get to earn a parcentage when you get to refer clients who want graphics done.

10. Matt

Matt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well it really depends on how much your hosting costs, but I don't think it is that bad of an idea. Since he is a really good designer, if you requested maybe five requests over one year, I think that would pay for it. Because many good designers charge $20+ per design.

11. johhnye

johhnye
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sounds good its not bad idea

12. deannatroupe

deannatroupe
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Personally graphics are not my favorite thing to do. If you can afford to do this for him, jump on this deal.

13. Shahrier

Shahrier
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When you say friend from school it makes him sound not too great and professional. But if he is very good at graphics, then this is a good deal. Otherwise, you could easily get cheaper yet professional graphics from others.

14. Andi21

Andi21
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Of course this is a great deal und idea. Because you are knowing your friend and you are doing it with him in exchange for other help. I am sure this is fair and you both would benefit from this offer. Therefore you should accept this offer from him:)

15. ashimashi

ashimashi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Seems like a okay idea but I am not sure how much success you will have with it!

Good luck to both of you!