Is the ‘Facebook’ really effective

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by shubh, Nov 3, 2009.

1. shubh

shubh
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Is the ‘Facebook’ really effective to find new professionals more easily for the high profile vacancies in the organizations?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

If you are looking for people for high profile positions I would say that Linked In is a much better option.

3. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Have to agree with Fergal about Linked In. Facebook is a decent site, but is more of a consumer site, the majority of people that use it don't want to be bothered by adverts or companies selling something. Linked In is a professional site and if you join different groups you can post articles etc. to people who are already interested in your subject matter.

4. SallyM

SallyM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ask yourself this;

How many times have you purchased something or given business to someone through knowing them on facebook???

Facebook being great for business is a myth (IMO)

5. magician661

magician661
    uix_expand uix_collapse

32 Ways to Use Facebook for Business

Facebook’s not just for keeping tabs on friends and filling out quizzes — it can also be used as a highly effective business tool. It’s great for marketing your products, landing gigs and connecting with your customers.

Here are 32 ways to use Facebook in your business.

Manage Your Profile

1. Fill out your profile completely to earn trust.
    2. Establish a business account if you don’t already have one.
    3. Stay out of trouble by reading the Facebook rules regarding business accounts.
    4. Install appropriate applications to integrate feeds from your blog and other social media accounts into your Facebook profile. (Although you should be careful before integrating your Twitter feed into your Faceboook profile, as a stream of tweets can seem overwhelming to your contacts.)
    5. Keep any personal parts of your profile private through Settings.
    6. Create friends lists such as “Work,” “Family” and “Limited Profile” for finer-grained control over your profile privacy.
    7. Post a professional or business casual photos of yourself to reinforce your brand.
    8. Limit business contacts’ access to personal photos.
    9. Post your newsletter subscription information and archives somewhere in your profile.

Rest are here

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Good question, for me the answer is never. Saying that, some big companies have FaceBook profiles and fan pages. They must be getting something from them or they would not be putting time and resource into them.

7. johndale

johndale
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Facebook is great in locating potential connections that will help you find a good job but I highly recommend LinkedIn much better professional people there and you can check their feedbacks to them also.

8. eddane

eddane
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Facebook can be good for marketing, but I'm not sure about hunting for high powered jobs!

Ed

9. kitty

kitty
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think facebook is not effective to find new professionals for the high vacancies in companies.

Thanks

10. Rasha

Rasha
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you are looking for employees to work in a company, I think you should put an add in the local newspaper and meet with them face to face. If you want a freelancer, then you should go to freelance sites online and post a project, there you will find all the people interested in working. the best freelance site is www.getafreelancer.com
    as for facebook, i don't think it's a good option because most people are only using it for chat and so on.. not seriously as to look for work.

11. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think the issue here is that is only one way of interpreting the use of Facebook for business. This is what I believe is the most common form of Facebook business: Have you ever seen a Facebook page, which has a link to a website? Chances are that is a business website and what those businesses are doing is using Facebook as a portal to their business/company website, which in turn will most likely deliver their results. You may not directly purchase from Facebook nor have done business on Facebook, but it is more likely a site is using Facebook to link to their site (which many businesses have).

Then this becomes a matter of traffic, which is not a major issue if you are a medium sized business. I guess getting noticed before marketing through Facebook would be a more appropriate way to approach your business. I don't think there is a correlation between Facebook business and a myth.