Is study in brand school or university help to earn more money?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by altcom, Oct 29, 2012.

1. altcom

altcom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Is study in brand university like Cambridge, Oxford and Harvard University help to earn money? Or student there is more easy to success in career.

2. jmoran

jmoran
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It depends on what you want to do. Sometimes a good idea and a bit of "luck" are more important than your university's name.

3. manojagadi

manojagadi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, Sometimes It helps to earn more money when we study in brand school or university.

4. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

On what school you came from does not actually determine one's success. Some people have been very successful in their careers yet studied in not-so-known schools in their place. It is up to personal interest and passion to learn and hard work as well that defines real success to an individual.

5. TimB

TimB
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes it happens that students of brand universities are given more priorities and more job opportunities. But it doesn't mean that other students don't excel!

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I would agree with Tim, graduating from a highly regarded university will give a certain amount of prestige or reputation to your CV. It doesn't guarantee success and you don't need to graduate from the likes of Harvard or Oxford in order to be successful, but it does help to open doors along the way.

7. agentmanningctu

agentmanningctu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google and Under Armor were both originally started at the University of Maryland, where I go. These are probably two of the most profitable and fastest growing companies in the US. My school isn't what I'd call very prestigious; it's generally ranked somewhere in the top 50 every year. It just goes to show you that you don't need to go to Harvard to be a billionaire.

You also need to know that overall school rankings don't really mean anything. Sure, it sounds nice to come from Harvard, but you need to take a look at rankings of specific fields. I chose Maryland because its Elementary Education program is one of the best in the country.

Edit: I don't actually know for sure whether Google was started here, but a lot of work was done here to make it what it is now.

8. eurekapsycrille

eurekapsycrille
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Here in the Philippines, there are thousands of students who graduated from expensive universities like Ateneo, La Salle, and many more. But they ended up unemployed. In some cases, the name of the school where you came from carries weight when you are applying for a job. But that's it. It will still depend on your skills.

I was not able to graduate from college but I was able to find a good and decent job.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sounds like an excellent university Agent, I hope it is going well for you.
    Sergey Brin and Larry Page started Google while they were studying at Stanford.

10. Justinjude

Justinjude
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Things that are not easy to obtain are valued highly as opposed to things that can be obtained easily. A degree from Oxford or Cambridge or Stanford are valued highly because they could not be obtained easily. Hence graduates from these universities are paid highly.

11. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Of course it will be better if you are able to go into the brand university, the university become "brand" because they are good reputation. People from brand university is more easy to get job compare to normal university. However, when we talk about success, it highly depends on how good you are, not only the education background but also need many other ability