Is SMS marketing worth it

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by Printed Products, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Printed Products

Printed Products
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I keep getting SMS sales messages and personally hate getting them. But they keep coming so someone is spending money on them.

Has anyone here used the method and what sort of ROI did you get?

What were the downsides? Bad reactions from anyone? etc

thanks

2. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

SMS is just too combatant. but since phones today can browse websites it really must be worth the fact that they do it.

3. Richard Thompson

Richard Thompson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Have a survey before going for it. People find it too annoying to see a marketing message in their inbox and SMS marketing has lost its importance since a long. However, various viral marketing techniques can yield good traffic.

4. Leejeong

Leejeong
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I didn't know that it is possible to have SMS marketing. This is actually my first time to hear such type. Well, phone users are almost in the hands of every people, we are not sure that this type of marketing will work, and will be considered as SPAM. You can't build reputation and relationships trough SMS. What we must do is to provide a mobile version of our websites, so we can easily market products and services to internet phone users.

5. sophieperrone

sophieperrone
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is worth using for sharing coupon codes to the customers who really wish to keep updated on your latest offers. I personally think, we should not send SMSs to non-subscribed list.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I don't mind getting SMS marketing messages from businesses that I already have a relationship with. For example, I welcome an SMS from my dentist reminding me that I should make an appointment. However, I don't look favourably on any business that sends me a "cold" SMS message because it takes my time to read them and I prefer to only receive contact on my mobile from people whom I've given my number to.

If you are considering an SMS marketing campaign I'd suggest that you start by considering ways that it could be of benefit to your existing customers and contacts.

• Like Like x 1
  7. altcom

altcom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It only work for regular user who make the subscription, stranger will treat it as spam.

8. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sometimes, those who send those messages randomly generate a list of numbers to send their marketing stuff messages. If you do receive, you might be one of the list they have. They don't know exactly who you are, where you are, but what they are looking for are people who read their messages and might have a chance to reply - which if the recipient replies, starts a conversation to both.

In some ways, you have to be careful in doing this, or at least engaging yourself into this kind of marketing. It might lead you to a scam / fraud which you might regret in the future.

Regards,
    Mark T

9. Printed Products

Printed Products
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for all the feedback everyone :)

In essence backs up my feelings about unsolicited messages - but I'd never thought of trying to get people to sign up for couplon codes and similar in my line. Will definitely think about it now; though whether I'll actually do it we'll have to see