is seo useful for small businesses?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by justinmartin, May 26, 2015.

1. justinmartin

justinmartin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

How can we promote small business via seo while it takes too much time to give results?

2. chad23

chad23
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No doubt SEO is necessary for successful development of small business. It should be based on creating fresh interesting and useful content, choosing of correct keywords and formation of good quality backlinks.

3. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Why is the time it takes a consideration? Are you planning to be in business for only a limited time? The advice chad has given above applies to any business of any size, but doesn't go far enough. The search engines want to provide the best results possible to anyone performing a search. which is why fresh, interesting and useful content is important. Choosing the correct keywords ensures that your potential customers can find you - you need to be listed where your potential customers are looking for your particular product or service. Formation of good, quality backlinks is achieved by writing informative articles, blog posts, press releases, etc., and producing informative videos, presenting yourself as an authority in your niche.
    There have been many cases where small businesses have outranked well-known brands like Amazon, The Container Store, Wal-Mart, and more. The size of your business is not a consideration when deciding whether to use SEO to promote your business website. An old saying says "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.".

• Like Like x 1
  4. peterfarrell22

peterfarrell22
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Small, medium and large business, all of them needs SEO. Why? because they have a business to run and they need to earn profits, without which, no business can survive. Today, everything is getting online, hence, your business needs to get online too. SEO, can get your business started earning profits in small period of time. Hence, for small business, SEO is essential too..

5. ellisthomas86

ellisthomas86
    uix_expand uix_collapse

SEO is a slow process. No one can ignore the fact. And is perfect for small business only. For bigger business what happens is they have good money to spend and its quite easy for them to drive traffic and get it to the pace. But what happens with small business is that money is one of the major factor to be considered. And apparently SEO which is a slow process makes it to the way driving traffic. But there is another alternative as well. Social media which is absolutely free and along with the SEO process, the combination would give a good hype to the traffic generation.

6. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I disagree that SEO is only for small business. SEO does allow small business to compete, in some cases, with large well-known businesses, but large businesses also need to reach potential customers, and SEO allows them to do that. It is true that large businesses have more money, but that means they can hire a larger SEO firm, that has the reach, finances, and influence that a smaller firm may not. However, if a small business spends their money wisely, rather than going for the cheapest because of a lack of funds, they can also reach the customers they need. So small, medium, and large businesses can all use SEO, they just get it from different places.

7. Asher ross

Asher ross
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

Today there is tremendous competition among businesses so whether a business is small or large scale there is a hoard to be the best. The same thing when a user makes an online search say for a particular product or service if your website appears first then there are more changes that the user may avail your service or purchase your product. So the business of any size it does need SEO. :$$:

8. sulbha

sulbha
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

Small businesses have a lot to benefit from SEO Small businesses have a lot to benefit from SEO.

>> Better rankings in search engine result pages and this translates to more targeted visits and essentially to more customers.
    >> Explore new online markets within short time
    >> Explore new markets

9. benecklary

benecklary
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Justin,

your question itself you mentioned small business. could you please explain what kind of business if you have physical location business like shop, restaurent, tiles show room seo promotion need to execute based on walkin customer so you have go ahead with local seo (map Optimization).

if you have a business customer will call you, you go to thier location and provide the service or deliver the product. for this you have to do classifieds, organic seo and social media promotion.

if you given what kind of business i can educate you the way of seo promotion.

Cheers !!!
    Ben

10. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Every business with a website needs to give some thought to SEO. Whether it is the local pizza shop or a national chain pizza restaurants, people look to the internet to find phone numbers, addresses, etc...

I'm not talking about short-lived gimmicks that give your website a temporary boost in the search engine results. SEO should be a part of your long term marketing strategy to increase the visibility of your business. Identify your target customers and be visible where they are looking.

While online visibility is just one part of that, for most businesses it is an increasingly important part of the marketing strategy. Perhaps the guy with a shop on the local beach selling sunscreen and hats who gets 99% of his business from foot traffic doesn't benefit from a web presence, but most businesses, even professional like doctors, dentists and lawyers, get an increasing amount of new business from people searching for their services on the internet.

With the increasing number of smart phones, internet searches are going to be even more important in the future. Even my hypothetical beach shop may find that people on the beach reach for their smart phones and choose his shop over a competitor.

• Like Like x 2
  11. paidforumposting

paidforumposting
    uix_expand uix_collapse

SEO can bring in a ton of business for small businesses, you need to nurture it over time. SEO is a slow process, but the hard work pays off.

12. manishsqrt

manishsqrt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't think SEO is very fruitful for small businesses, because SEO is meant to affect search rankings, and search ranking works on global level. My personal opinion is that social media was developed due to need of empowering local business. Look at their model. They focus on distributing your content within your local circle. So I would say social media is a better option, though SEO may help. Suppose you have a business in your city, then SEO can help only if people search for that business in your city. Now how you are ranked depends on the competition of that business within your city. It would not be so much time consuming to get a good rank in for searches related to your city plus your business.But I will still say smo is a better option.

#12 manishsqrt, May 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2015
  13. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Not necessarily. Yes, there are businesses that are national or even international, but Google is now smart enough to determine your location using your IP address. Thee are also businesses that are by nature local, and these can also rank. I recently heard about a survey of mobile users, and about half prefer using browser-based search rather than an app.

Good point. Although you no longer have to specify a city(see above), a keyword that includes the city would be less competitive, so would be easier to rank. However, you need to research your keywords to make sure people are actually searching "keyword + city" type keywords related to your business

• Like Like x 1
  14. robohs

robohs
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Seo is the basic and essential part if you want to target people of different countries state,It will helps to grow your business very easily and will generate traffic to your website .

15. manishsqrt

manishsqrt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Its true that google can determine address by ip, but you know most of the people use internet by mobile devices these days, so there ip keeps on changing.Even ip cannot give correct geo location i have seen in many cases.I don't think google pays much attention to location from where they get query.Till now i have no such experience.I thought may be they are encouraging project loon for this hurdle only.But that also looks far away.Google often trace my location as Chandigarh but i live in Varanasi.I also tried to advertise locally but there are places that google even don't recognizes them.So it may be that in future they improve this but at current social media looks best for local business.As the data about the user is on server that don't changes like dynamic ip.Yes its true that this data may be misleading but then there are some trade offs everywhere we will have to accept it.I am also waiting if google can really solve this problem it would be great.Project loon was a solution from my point of view.This is possible only if one network service that also works in search domain connects the whole internet.

16. atlantisrocks

atlantisrocks
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Your business website must be seen by people who could use the products or services you offer.

You can get your site in front of prospects either through good SEO so your site rises to the top of the search engine results, or through advertising.

In the short term, advertising is the best alternative. While you can advertise in the search engines (like Google's Adwords), you can also purchase display ads in various media (including Facebook and websites related to your product or service).

SEO to get your site ranked high in the natural search results can be difficult. Competition of often fierce for the scarce resources at the top of the search results pages. Choosing your keywords carefully can help you see some success in the short term. Popular keyword phrases are difficult to rank for.

17. ashutoshkhuana11

ashutoshkhuana11
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nowadays SEO is very tricky that's why its takes time . Always try to post quality content in your Website,blog, Article,Micro websites that engage your target audience.Use long tail and query based keywords. So focus on these things and follow the google Pigeon update guidelines. You will defiantly get good result in less time.

18. sameera

sameera
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Promoting Small Business via SEO

Now a days, SEO is not only limited to social bookmarking and directory submissions. There are lot more exciting and good things to do in SEO. Firstly, you should optimize your website with target search queries. It includes website title, meta description, meta keywords, headings, website content, images alt tags and images optimization.
    After getting done with this, you should focus on its marketing online. For that, you need to mark its presence in every area which includes business listings, social media, profiles, blogging, images profiles, videos, slidehshares, infographics etc.
    These are the things where you need to keep yourself active after regular intervals of time.
    You can focus on social media marketing in much better way by creating business pages and profiles on social media sites like Twitter, Facebook Page, facebook groups, Pinterest, Youtube, G+ page, LinkedIn Page etc
    With this, you can update your users from time to time for your new services and products you offer.

19. 60degreeDigital

60degreeDigital
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, frankly SEO is a bit time consuming, but you see a good reputation doesn't come by so easily. You need to do the hard work for it.
    For it's effectiveness, I would say, it won't be opening any magic boxes for you, but though it would create a very good online presence for your business .

20. cadomagenge

cadomagenge
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes SEO very useful to any type business. It increase your business popularity in online market and increase your business or sell of product. Now a day most of business are target the online user.