Is SEO dead?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by patrick0001, Aug 10, 2012.

1. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

• Like Like x 1
  2. rudradhar

rudradhar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

SEO is alive or dead

Hi Guys

Sometime I think that SEO is dead when I see some poor sites coming at top 10 position. The sites which are really very good from SEO point of view that sites comes down the rank. I don't what's going in goole

3. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

4. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When you see those results, it may mean that there is a current update or experiment done by Google in their database or SERPS.

• Like Like x 1
  5. LucidWebMarketng

LucidWebMarketng
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Oh, boy. Here we go. I wish people would think logically about things.

A search engine's job is to provide the most relevant links to the search performed. That's for both organic and paid links by the way but we're talking about organics here. So for those who want to reach the top of organics, you need to know and do the things that the search engine believes is important. There's a whole bunch of things they consider - more than 100 and some say more than 200. Some call it gaming the system, I say it's using your head and being smart.

So why all of a sudden doing these things (doing SEO) would that not be important? It will always be important and thus SEO for those wanting to reach the top will always exist.

Now what may change is how the search engine values certain things. The article mentions 15% value placed on internal processes. I don't believe it's that low and only the search engines know (Google is different than Bing which is different than...) but let's say that's accurate. This supposes that external processes are 85% and indeed, that appears what most so-called SEO experts focus on. So looking at it this way, if the weight of these external processes drops to say 40% and 90% of SEO is concentrating on them (which is to say building backlinks), then yes, SEO is dead. At least as far as that 90% is concerned. But there will always be a need for SEO so it's not dead. The survivors are going to be the smart ones, the elites. I'm not sure Adam Torkildson really gets it but good luck to him.

In my view, there are five major factors considered to rank a site. They may be different between search engines and the weight each assigns will be different. But if I were to build a search engine from scratch, the following would be my factors and their weights. Each factor of course contains sub-factors each with their own weights.

Content 25%
    Performance 25%
    Quality 25%
    Backlinks 15%
    Other 10%

• Like Like x 1
  6. LucidWebMarketng

LucidWebMarketng
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Not that Google is perfect but they are obviously doing something right to get ranked high. That means SEO is not dead. It simply has changed, the expectations of the search engines to get ranked highly. Also consider your search queries. In my view, many people don't know how to search properly. In computer jargon we call it garbage in, garbage out. The software is only reacting in the way it was taught.

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

What do you mean by performance and quality in this instance?

[Similar threads merged!]

8. LucidWebMarketng

LucidWebMarketng
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There's another thread mentioning CTR as a possible way to rank. Seems others think CTR is a factor and would fall under my performance category. If you can think of a better term, let me know.

Many things fall under the Quality heading, things like bridge pages (yes, think PPC in SEO too) and misleading claims. That's really what Google thinks of as quality, not "the page looks pretty".

• Like Like x 1
  9. Choice Checks

Choice Checks
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As SEO changes. We'll never know the actual truth behind their logarithm as they are always changing it along with other search engines. Just read up on the best you can and if you can do it your self. You'll be saving alot of money, even though its time consuming and can be a pain in the .... to deal with. Keep doing the seo, blogs, and offer best customer service possible and everything will be ok :)

10. pentawebexperts

pentawebexperts
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well i still believe that seo will never die if done in proper way and under the shade of the Google's guidelines because there would always be a source present there who will lead the search engines to count rankings. So if one is indulging in the white hat seo practice then he will never lose its rankings along side if search engines update there algos then no matter the updates are about for whom purpose the white hat techniques will definitely protect the site.

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the explanation LucidWebMarketng.

Do you mean the CTR of the search engine listing or the CTR on the site itself?

12. LucidWebMarketng

LucidWebMarketng
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The search engine listing, each page, of course. Search engines look at individual pages, not whole sites.

That thread about search engines using CTR is on another forum. My apologies, I thought it was here on BAF but it's on HighRankings.com which I just joined. Unfortunately, not as active as BAF.

• Like Like x 1
  13. surge

surge
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I wouldn't really think much about SEO these days with Google coming up with all those changes in their algorithms. SEO appears to be a vast topic with so much stuff on a website to optimize. I would just let an SEO expert handle all such tasks with special attention to make sure that there are no black hat methods involved. Having a real content on a website is off course a must have and if you have followed the basics of SEO on your website then you will eventually get more organic traffic. I don't think SEO is dead, i think it just depends on how you do it. With the latest google penguin update i am sure many webmasters will think a lot before going for optimization services like back links building and article marketing.

14. printingray

printingray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

SEO isn't dead the old way of SEO dead noways SEO change and new ways come to do but SEO is still working :)

15. fish

fish
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I thought SEO was dying in an old way, but it was reborn in another way.

16. pentawebexperts

pentawebexperts
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Agreed. Google always crawl each and every page of a site and thus may give a different weightage to each page. Therefore it is believed that each and every page should be given the importance to maintain and up grade the reputation of the web site as a whole.

17. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

After reading below articles, I believe that link is still play lot of influence on SERP.
    http://www.searchenginepeople.com/blog/do-natural-links-exist-if-so-what-would-they-look-like.html

1st level processing
    Each link is a vote, all search engine are same, it depend on links to crawl a site. A site with slow crawling rate surely loss its audience in news section. To get good ranking the site must get crawl in the first place, so links is 100% important for crawling.

2nd level processing
    Once it crawl, Google store in database and analysis the site through various factor for ranking purpose. Site which have good content and quality links will be promote to top search. That is why, when a site purchase massive link will instantly push to top search.

3rd level processing
    1. Google does not take Google analytic as ranking metric, because not all site owner install GA. So the possible way for Google to analyst the site performance is through CTR, impression, and how long a same visitor revisit search engine for same query.

2. Social metric, if a site is popular surely it get lot of follower and people discuss the site.
    For site does not fulfill 3rd level processing, Google will take down from top search.

3. The ranking metric also take count on general query VS direct query. e.g search query on businessadviceforum, business advice forum VS business forum, webmaster forum. When businessadviceforum become relevant to searches, search engine will give more credit to rank others relate keywords.

The possible measurement are:

18. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

From your first sentence, I can clearly say that no matter what we do - link is still a link - and its what connects the entire world wide web. So whatever we say, link still plays an important role. The use of links us just the one changing. The aspect, the usage, the connection it makes, etc.

19. LucidWebMarketng

LucidWebMarketng
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I highly doubt the search engine care much about site structure and design. Content, yes.

Links play a role. After all, that's the whole idea of PageRank. But it doesn't play as big a role in my opinion as most people believe. At least we have some similar opinions such as 25% weight to content. You give a bit more weight to CTR and twice more to links. Let's just say it's probably in the middle.

Google wants quality and links are not indicative of quality but rather one of popularity. The only true measure of quality that the search engines can measure is how many times people click the listing. It works in PPC, it would be crazy not to think they don't use it in part for SERPs. That's why I give more weight to CTR, as much as content and the two half or more of the total weight.

20. noreturn

noreturn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think to have a site that will be active and stay active you almost HAVE to have good SEO or else no one will be able to find you. Ya sure lots of people are turning towards social media to advertise their site. But then again if no one was using Google, yahoo, or even bing to search stuff up Google wouldn't be number one on alexa rating. Google will never go away so I personally think having good SEO is important to any site.

Sure advertising on social media is important but having good SEO is even more important.