Is SEO based on each page's content alone?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by KelleyBA29, Oct 1, 2012.

1. KelleyBA29

KelleyBA29
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This may seem dumb but I'm having trouble getting my site some search traffic and I'm wondering if search listings are by page content or by site content? For instance when someone searches for ear phones is it going to rank pages on sites with more content on ear phones or is it off of just the content of that one page? Because my pages of my site are so different in content I'm having a hard time with keywords and getting them ranked well.

2. patrick.s

patrick.s
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can get sites ranked by page, but it would depend on how much of the related content is on that page. Google may(i'm not positive) check content for your other pages which may effect it. I'm probably wrong about that though.

3. ChrisLeads

ChrisLeads
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nowadays, I think it is hard to get rank by google easily.

4. rudradhar

rudradhar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For each keyword Google itself decides the most relevant webpage. We have to be assure the page which we are optimizing for a particular keyword is relevant or not

5. renegadeleader

renegadeleader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Did you also work for your on page SEO? Check if your site is SEO friendly as well. And don't forget to post quality content to your site without over using your keyword.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Google is mostly concerned with the relevance and quality of the content of an individual page. They judge that on (amongst other factors);

• The content actually on the page
    • The relevance, quality and authority of the web pages that link to the page in question
    • The relevance, quality and authority of the pages that the page links to.

If your web page is about ear phones it will benefit from having other quality web pages about ear phones link to it. It may suffer in the rankings, if it links to lots of other web pages that have content not in any way relevant to ear phones. As your web page links to and is linked from other pages on your site, the overall content of your site can have an impact on how well a particular page ranks in the search engines.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

One thing you need to be careful of is not to get links only from websites related to earphones, although the content of the webpage must be related, in some way, to earphones. For instance, if someone writing a blog about exercising, and they listen to music, on earphones, while running on the treadmill, that would be a valid link. However, if they write a blog post about low-calorie meals, it wouldn't make sense to have a link to a store that sells earphones in that post.
    Each link you receive is considered an endorsement by Google. In another post on BAF, I asked a car dealer who he sells cars to. Does he only sell cars to people in industries related to cars? Of course not - anyone can buy a car from him, so anyone can endorse him. The same thing applies to the search engines - you can get a link from anyone, as long as the content of the page is related to the page being linked to. Of course, as Fergal mentioned, the quality and authority of the page being linked from, as well as the quality and authority of the page being linked to, are very important.
    To answer your original question, the individual page gets ranked for each keyword phrase. Can you give us the URL of the website, so we can help you find phrases related to the site that you can get ranked for?

• Like Like x 1
  8. LucidWebMarketng

LucidWebMarketng
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Search engines rank pages, not sites. They say there are about 200 factors used in ranking on Google. We can speculate on what those factors are (believe me I've tried and came up with about 60) but only Google knows exactly what they are and how much weight (importance) to give each.

For all I know, there may be a factor that gives you a bit of a boost if your site is about one thing only. I doubt it however but it could be and if so, I think it would have little weight. Think about it: there's many ecommerce sites selling all sorts of things (think Walmart or Best Buy) so not something I'd worry about. Although Best Buy could conceivably get a boost because most of what they sell is electronics.

Obviously content is number one. They are not going to rank a page about dog food better than your ear phones page. Backlinks seem to be important too but as Fergal said, the best links will be from other related pages. So more juice from other pages about ear phones or even related items (devices that need earphones or maybe even speakers). You will get less juice from page about dog food. In fact, you may need ten or more such links to get the equivalent of one quality link (one about earphones).

There are many other factors. But each is on a page basis. You also should not concentrate only on one factor. Some people for example seem to build backlinks only while forgetting on-page factors.

9. printingray

printingray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Keyword always fetch its landing page which is using during link building, no other one will be fetch by the search engines while on that content is present with the same keywords.

10. KelleyBA29

KelleyBA29
    uix_expand uix_collapse

First of all, thank you for helping me, I need it desperately. I am learning, this is my first website. My url for my home page is kelleysfineliving.com I have tried to optimize content using keywords that were popular, but low competition. However, my page still isnt ranked and I have only got two visitors from search traffic total. Those visitors weren't from keywords I'm using either. I've been using godaddy's SEO tools to help me which is telling me my site score is 82 but I'm not getting any traffic so I'm frustrated. I'm confused about backlinks Lucid, I dont understand how to get them. I've read that forums are good but other than that I don't know how to get more backlinks. Wouldn't backlinks for me be my competition sites? Why would they post my link if I'm competition? I've got one of the manufacturers I use to post my link but that's the only backlink I have other than social and directories. Also, if ranking is on one page basis then do I need to work on getting one page ranked for certain keywords at a time? Thank you all so much, I have read about all this so much and I still feel confused.

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

KelleyBA29 have a look through some of the threads in the "Link Building" section of our Featured Sales & Marketing, Online Promotion & SEO Threads. You should get some ideas there for building links to your site.

You could start by finding some blogs that have content relevant to your site, add helpful comments there that include a link back to your site. You would also be welcome to advertise and link to your site in our Plug Your Link or Website, Other Products & Services advertising forum section.

12. larryfinch

larryfinch
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Fergal has said clearly, three pionts are the key

13. Mchetan

Mchetan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

Do the following things in a large and quality way.

1. Add keyword at the start of title in the page which you optimize.
    2. Write proper content related to that keyword.
    3. Do all off-page activities.
    4. Give hyperlink from same keyword in other page content which are on top.

Thanks

14. elina

elina
    uix_expand uix_collapse

SEO is depends on the page content, quality of the content will attracts the more number of visitors to the site. there are companies provides the professional service in the SEO.

15. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Maybe I can incorporate this post from SEOmoz talking about Random Affinities , that is if you haven't read it yet.