Is making money online your hobby or your work?

Discussion in 'Making Money Online' started by Zyni, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Zyni

Zyni
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I know for some people it's just a hobby. For others, making money online may be their only source of income. So, which is it for you?

If it's your main source of income, do you feel like you make enough, or is it a struggle?

2. P.Skinner

P.Skinner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For me it is a supplementary source of income. I have a main job that I depend on for core income and benefits, but online earning produces spending money, money to invest etc. To me this is the best of both worlds. I do not have to do online work that jus does not interest me, and the money I make is 100% discretionary income.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Danielle Davidson

Danielle Davidson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For me, it's just a hobby in a way. I'm sure that I would be able to live without making money online, but it's to have another way to get some money. For the most part it's not a huge deal if I don't log in one day. Sometimes i'll just get too busy, and won't get online. I just enjoy the work that I do, so it's almost like I'm not even working.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SF Best Limousine

SF Best Limousine
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Online works is also a hobby for me, I enjoy the idea that I am earning while at home but then I still need to work because I'm not yet earning enough online. Maybe I still need to learn more.. That's why I joined here to gain more knowledge..

5. Winterybella

Winterybella
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I can't say it's a hobby. I see a hobby as something you do in your leisure time. I have spent so much time online in recent times, it's become more of an occupation/obsession. As a result the jobs that can help pay the bills are suffering. I think I am on a mission to find something online that can make a real impact on my professional life. All the while I am learning a lot about technology. I was technologically challenged before discovering forums and the online world.

• Like Like x 1
    #5 Winterybella, Jul 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  6. m0n2k

m0n2k
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Making money online can be work and a hobby if it's fun. If you find something like reviewing games or apps online it could feel like a hobby. If you have a full time job online like data entry or something, you might not want to be doing that in your spare time. I personally find some of the things I do online fun and a hobby. It depends on what it is your doing really.

7. Redd

Redd
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I wouldn't call what I do a hobby even though I don't work full-time online. Sure I'd love to work solely from home but other commitments make it impossible for me to spend much time on the net. I'm thinking of starting an online business though and if I make a decent amount of money from it, I could quit my day job. That now [if my hobby blog starts making me money] is what I'd call having fun whilst counting them Benjamins.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Doc Moose

Doc Moose
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As for me personally, it is only a hobby if you are not working full-time such as 8 to 5 40 hours a week kind of thing. I should know because I got hired full-time twice and I got paid on an hourly basis. It used to be easy finding this type of project but now, as more freelancers coming into the fold, it is very hard to get this type of engagement.

9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It can actually be both considered as a hobby and a full-time work. If you love making money online and you have passion for what you are doing now, then I guess working in front of your computer doesn't feel like your work at all since you are enjoying every bit of it.

10. pwarbi

pwarbi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think for most people working online would just be considered as a way to earn a little extra money and it isn't something that you could earn a full time living at.

I think a lot will also depend on where you live and what hourly rate your happy with as a lot of the work from home opportunities won't pay anywhere near the same amount as a regular job.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Onionman

Onionman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It should be more about work for me, though I think I'm treating it more like a hobby...In other words, I could put a hell of a lot more time and energy into my writing, as I want it to be one of my income streams, but I don't yet have a daily discipline in place that would require me to write more consistently.

It's actually something I've been looking into in recent weeks and I've set myself a few writing goals over coming months and we'll see where that will take me.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SpikeTheLobster

SpikeTheLobster
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm very lucky: my online earning is supplemental income, a hobby and the thing I enjoy doing. There are parts of it that are more work than others (like trying to motivate myself to do the boring client work when all I really want to do that day is write code or edit or something), but overall I'm really happy with what I do. It doesn't earn a full-time income (since I'm only a part-timer), but it's nice to have extra money.

The big change came for me when I stopped trawling all the PTC and GPT sites. That end of the market is painful and depressing - pennies for hours of effort, in the end - so getting away from it and doing my own thing was a critical decision. The discipline is the hard thing, as @Onionman said. In the end, laziness is the main reason most people don't earn online, and I'm no different. Given a choice, I'd rather be playing video games than working, but hey... gotta earn the money, right? :D

• Like Like x 1
  13. itommy

itommy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am making good money online from my sites but it's for both, hobby and money

while for hobby, it helps me increase skills and knowledge when discussing with other people.

For money, it helps me maintain websites like paying for hosting, domains, advertising campaigns or buy services to increase traffic for websites.

• Like Like x 1
  14. klaythomson

klaythomson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For me, it is enough and I am making fun making money online because you can be your own boss and you can work anytime you want. At the end of the day, my hard work and wasted time is paid off.

15. Tandy

Tandy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi It is a hobby because I love what I do, so I guess its a paid hobby, I love to watch it grow , learn new techniques, and work isn't work if you love what you do!

16. truebluefan

truebluefan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is my work. I am a forum manager or 'Online Communications Associate.'

17. missbishi

missbishi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It was real work for a couple of years but right now it's back to being just a hobby as I currently work full-time outside the home.

18. elmarianexx

elmarianexx
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The answer is straight. I am a freelance writer, so I write articles, blog posts, and other content. I get paid for doing that, so I can say that it is my part-time job during those Summer Holidays, but when they will end I will need to go back to school and leave my job. It is also one of my biggest hobbies because I just enjoy writing, in the future I am planning to write a science-fiction book. Nowadays I try to read as much books as I can generally the fantasy genre, because the more books you read the more creative you're writing is. :D

19. Robert01

Robert01
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Although making money online is my only source of income now but still I believe making money online is some sort of hobby for me. I'm still a student and my job is studying. I do these online money making as a side thing. I don't want to stuck here my whole life. But I really like to work here online.

20. Scott

Scott
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I wish it could be my source of income, but at this time I just use online to post video's on YouTube. It seems that you have to be first lucky, but smart in what you are trying to do online. I think online is so saturated at this time, where everybody want that piece of the pie and not having to go anywhere except to your computer. Hopefully, I hope this made sense, because I can ramble on and on.