Is Mac or Linux machine require antivirus?

Discussion in 'Computer Questions, Issues & Security' started by patrick0001, Mar 13, 2012.

1. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I always heard people request antivirus for PC, but have heard anyone requested antivirus for Mac and Linux machine?

Why it is unnecessaryor Why it is necessary

2. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Linux and mac don't usually get virus since viruses and malware somehow only works in windows.

3. Bliss Elliosn

Bliss Elliosn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Although I've never used Mac or Linux.
    But common sense says that they are also operating systems, what special they have in it that they dont need to have antivirus, and if they really dont, then why shouldn't we all have moved to Mac and Linux.

4. gmichel

gmichel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello,

I am a Mac and Linux user and never had a virus. (I can't say the same with Windowz.)

These are 2 operating systems very secure because the admin password needs to be entered before installing anything on the machine.

Viruses can be made for them but that is not the easy way to spread viruses, so virus creators like to make them for Windows.

I think I read there are only 64 Mac viruses listed... There are anti-virus software available, but not really necessary.

\

• Like Like x 2
  5. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There was a virus that exist for Linux and mac once upon a time and that was it. never heard of any virus that exist for them ever since except it.

you should try. however, you would have to learn how things work. in Linux, its best if you also know how commandline interface especially if you will be installing programs thru apt-get or yum. just like microsoft, these operating system has repositories of their own. so you would have to ask for support for each community that develops the system.

6. mysandyda

mysandyda
    uix_expand uix_collapse

this is one of the big advantages of Linux and Mac :) I adore my MacBook :)

7. firstchoicecar

firstchoicecar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't have Linux or Mac, But I already heard that they do not need antivirus in their system.

8. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

mac is proprietary and i think only works with their hardware. You can have linux by just downloading it. all you need is to look for the hardware requirements of the operating system. if your specs fits their requirements then your good to go. Ubuntu i think requires a lot this time.

9. Forum Source

Forum Source
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You generally don't need an anti virus for Linux, though I can't speak for MAC since I've never owned a MAC.

Whenever I've used Linux however, I've never had to get an anti virus because most viruses and things are written for Windows.

10. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

However, Linux community still have their own antivirus such as clamwin wherein windows users can also use. this antivirus has somehow becoming popular nowadays.

11. jcworlditsme

jcworlditsme
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Personally, I would advise installing antivirus software on Linux, because although it may be safe from viruses now, this may not always be the case.

12. band

band
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Mac and linux users little compare to windows. If I am a spammer, I will spent more effort to target windows rather than Mac. By target windows, more people will be attempt virus infection, the distribution is high.

If Virus are created by Antivirus company, its answer that they can collect more money from Windows rather than Mac and linux.

Some people mention that Unix system is harder to hack, as they are using command instead of UI.

13. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for sharing, may I know why it is not the easy way to spread viruses for Mac and Linux?

14. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

probably because how these systems treat files. linux as far as i know just treat everything as files even the drives and ram. exe files don't work as files and scripts works only for c files, bash scripts, python and perl. codes aren't hidden compare to exe files. they all run the linux which are only in the directories such as /root /boot /etc /sbin /bin

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bliss Elliosn

Bliss Elliosn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes we should try if we want to live, work and communicate in a secure mode. Yes, learning commandline interface and some other coding stuff is the thing that make us lazy to move.

Thanks to you as well for sharing great knowledge.

Bundle of thanks. Valuable information shared.

16. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are linux distro thats very friendly that users need not to learn commandline such as Ubuntu. They do have software center where users can just type what software they want and it will present list of software. The users will just click and install without doing commandline however, the Ubuntu require good hardware specification. Probably 2Gb of RAM and huge drive space.

17. johnnyS

johnnyS
    uix_expand uix_collapse

majority of the virus made are for Windows machines because it is the most used OS, but however Mac and Linux based systems also have virus but it can be fixed by just updating your system kernel so no need for an antivirus

• Like Like x 1
  18. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

True. There are not much of viruses in Mac and Linux because they can easily be erased unlike in Windows.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

But though Linux and Mac do not have much viruses at all, the problem is that most software and other programs are compatible with windows and only yet a few numbers are only compatible with Mac or Linux.

20. Shahrier

Shahrier
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's not much of a difference as Windows has that too.

Anyways, most viruses are built to work with windows, but there are still a lot of viruses for Mac and such. Most people don't request anti virus for Mac/Linux because Most people us Windows.