Is Lack of Focus Getting in the Way to Your Success?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by markdoyle, Sep 8, 2011.

1. markdoyle

markdoyle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have a severe case of ADD. If I’m not doing a thousand things at a time, I feel the strong need to find more stuff to do. However, this is a really bad trait and I’m working really hard to change it. These are three short stories of how my lack of focus undermined my success.

My Video Production Company
    A lot of our clients needed videos made so I decided to start a video production company. The plan was always to partner with a professional video producer, but I wanted to learn more about the industry, so I started reading books, taking classes on video editing and analyzing our competition.

Two weeks later I lost a really big client in my main business (my Internet marketing agency) because I completely neglected her and she didn’t give me a second chance. I lost a $15,000/month contract for wasting time learning skills I didn’t even need.

So I decided to let my partner run the business and I now send him clients. I still own half of the business, but I spend only an hour a week working on it. Is it making as much money as it would if I were running it full time? Probably not, but you only have so many hours a day and you have to use them in whatever moves you farthest toward your goal.

Training Our New Salesman
    In January we got a lot of great leads so we decided to hire a new salesperson. I normally spend two months training every new hire, but I had a lot on my plate at that moment and only spent two weeks with him.

His performance was less than impressive and I realized it was because I didn’t spend enough time training him. Sales was our top priority at that point and I was spending zero time working on it. Stupid, right? If something is your top priority, you’d think that’s what you’d spend most of your time on, right?

I decided to delegate a bunch of smaller tasks and focus on training my new hire. His closing ratio doubled in only three weeks.

Traveling Around Asia
    When I was 20 I was running an e-learning company and traveling around Asia at the same time. This normally wouldn’t be a problem, as I travel a lot, but I didn’t have good systems in place or a good team that could take care of things while I was gone.

I couldn’t enjoy my trip because I was constantly worried about work and my company wasn’t growing because I wasn’t focused on it. Looking back at this, I should have created great systems and hired one or two great employees, train them for a while and slowly transition out of the company.

I tried to do two things at once and didn’t do either one well.

Do you struggle with staying focused, too? Would you mind sharing how you deal with it?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hi Mark, I can relate to your stories. Unfortunately I'm also inclined to take on too much and to spread myself too thinly. I've been dealing with it by taking some time every evening to plan what I will work on the next day. The intention here is to keep me focused on the priorities for the day and to avoid distractions.

I also spent some time writing down a list of all the projects I'm currently working on or involved in. There were just too many of them for me to complete any of them successfully, so I did a cull and simply stopped working on some of them so that I could focus more on the most important topics.

All this has helped but I still have a long way to go. I remember reading a quote once that went along the lines of the following; "Good companies do a few things very well, great companies do one thing very well".

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hurbel2k

Hurbel2k
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Can you repeat that for me? 1 hour a week? I waste about 5 hours a week in front of the TV, but I would cut that to 4 hours a week if you tell me how to run a business in 1 hour a week.

4. jole

jole
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't watch tv at all. But I have problem with focus also. Usualy Internet distracts me. Since I am still student(finishing Master soon), work on my websites or some other work online distracts me from books and learning. And finally I found a good way to fight with it. First, I realized focus is my problem. Second, I strongly decide that I will unplug network cable next 2,3,4h, and I really work. So this works for me. But yes, focus is I think, the most important for our success, in anything!

5. CoachJulie1

CoachJulie1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Great posts--I can relate. I'm working full time while launching my business and trying to have a life. It seems so far, when I run out of time, my business building gets moved to "tomorrow" because there is a lot to do and the task list seems daunting. I am trying to reassess priorities, and put together a more realistic weekly "to-do list" that I can start working on and feel I'm making progress and accomplishing what I want. I suggest trying to break things down into manageable, achievable tasks.

6. BatAds

BatAds
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Don't blame your focus problems on ADD

7. Tohami

Tohami
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would quote Wanda Urbanska, author of The Heart of Simple Living, as she says: "The question is NOT ‘how can I use my time more efficiently?’, which just make you more like a machine. The question IS ‘what do you want most from your time?'"

think about it!

8. td2011

td2011
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank goodness, i'm glad i'm not the only one! I experience quite manic behaviour and I can't get things done quick enough even though I'm trying to do about ten different things at once, then I tend to crash and loose momentum and end up having lists of things that never get looked at. I thought I was just not adjusting well to modern living.

9. RedHelper

RedHelper
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In most cases right planning strategy can help. I personally get into the trap with "too much to do" syndrom about a year ago. I started to search for different books on time-managment and finally found GTD. It took me about 2 days to implement all suggestions of the technique, and now i'm sure i know what to do at every moment of my day and do not worry about other tasks.

10. Addaneye123

Addaneye123
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't look at tv at all. But I have issue with concentrate also. Usualy Web throws me. Since I am still student(finishing Expert soon), operate on my internet websites or some other operate on the internet throws me from guides and discovering. And lastly I discovered a excellent way to attack with it. First, I recognized concentrate is my issue. Second, I powerfully choose that I will remove system cord next 2,3,4h, and I really operate. So this will work for me. But yes, concentrate is I think, the most essential for our excellent results, in anything!

11. KacieParker

KacieParker
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There was a study showing how people can't really multitask. I do think this is true. To become more effective, you should focus on one task at a time. You'll find that you will be able to do quality work faster instead of trying to do multiple things at once and not get anything done in the end.

I also suggest getting rid of distractions like email and instant messages, try to check them on a schedule, like before or after you work, not during your actual work. Also, try to outsource some tasks that are repetitive. This will help you work on more important tasks.

12. Shahrier

Shahrier
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I struggle to focus also. I have so much work to do in a short period of time that I get very easily distracted.

13. flexibleresource

flexibleresource
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This step is very useful for success:

1.Expect mistakes.
    2.Remind yourself that you are good enough.
    3.Remain calm.
    4.Forget about how other people view you.
    5.Shift out of your head space.
    6.Stop worrying, start laughing.
    7.Review what your failure has taught you.
    8.Stay in the present.
    9.Allow yourself to fail on purpose.
    10.Focus on trying again.
    11.Grow.
    12.Ditch boredom and live large.

14. MrMadhatter

MrMadhatter
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sometimes i find it hard to focus but im working on improving my drive to get out and make something of myself.