Is it possible to hire someone to write a business plan for me?

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by AverageJoe, Feb 28, 2010.

1. AverageJoe

AverageJoe
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I hit a bit of a roadblock recently. As if the financial part of starting a business wasn't hard enough, I remembered that I'd have to write a business plan. According to just about everyone it's very important. Unfortunately I doubt I could make a good business plan by myself. Scratch that. I doubt I could make one that would convince a lender to give me money. So...

- Is it possible?

- If yes, is it a good idea or bad idea?

2. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Before you pay out any cash to anyone try this;

Sit down and record yourself talking about your business. Where do you want it to go. Plans for year 1, 2, 3 , 4 & 5. Who your customers will be. How you will find them. How much money it will take to run.

In fact every little detail you can think of.....

Reply it to yourself 10-20 times and start to write it down so that it makes sense to you. Once you have done that you have the start of an honest business plan.

You will find plenty of resource on the web about how a business plan should look. Fill in the gaps with your words and then see what you have left. These are the things that you should then seek further help with.

Only you know what you want from your business and how you expect it to get there (at the moment) once you have started to express it in words, others will get the idea.

3. WebKarnage

WebKarnage
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

Do you use a trusted accountant for any other business, or used one in the past? I would think they would be someone to make a quick call to. I wouldn't look one up, but either go with someone you know or get a trusted recommendation. They should be aware of what the requirements would be.

Some banks also have small business advisors, but I would personally be wary of them from my experience!

with best regards,
    Karn.

4. indigonl

indigonl
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In Holland we have examples and tutorials about businessplans from our Chamber of Commerce. You can ask if they provide examples? I recently found some examples on the internet too, useful as a guideline to make your own?

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

AverageJoe I'd agree with Sean that you should try to write the business plan yourself. At least do the first draft of the plan yourself. If you need assistance at a later time, you could get some help from an accountant or business advisor to tailor your plan for potential investors.

When first writing your business plan don't even think about how investors might view it. Try to make the plan as accurate and realistic as possible, you can tweak it for recipients at a later stage. This will help you to personally get a much better understanding of what your business will be like and your strategies for moving it forward.

You should find the business plan templates listed in our Useful Business Resources / Links thread, helpful.

Good luck with it and please post back with any questions you have.

6. navast

navast
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think you`d better to write it yourself. You have to know your own business well.

7. chrisdina

chrisdina
    uix_expand uix_collapse

its possible to hire someone to write a business plan for you...but i think you should request samples from their previous work and you can also ask testimonials from people who have used their services. and then, make sure you fully understand the contract.so, you will know what you will get for your money, because they can be an additional cost you may not be able to afford, but in the long run it could be the best investment you ever made..