Is it possible to have a day or two off if you own a shop?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by michelle21689, Jul 13, 2012.

1. michelle21689

michelle21689
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Is it possible to take 1-2 days off a week if you own a business?

My parents have owned this Asian grocery for 30 years.Open every day, closing early on holidays. A big majority of people that have worked here are my uncles, aunts, sisters, and close family friends. I asked my dad why he only hired people that were like family. He said because sometimes people he hire that aren’t family end up stealing merchandise and he can’t trust them. My parents have grown to not trust people.

I was just thinking, if I were to own the store one day…I can’t always depend on family to work for me (especially since they’re getting old). Is it really that hard to find DEPENDABLE and TRUSTWORTHY workers? Maybe my parents just suck at hiring because I sort of notice sometimes they give people they know work because they NEED a job.

One other question. My parents are at the store every day and it is open every day. If I am the owner one day, is it possible to have 2 days off a week if I have enough help or is that unprofessional to you? I would hate to think that I would never have any free time at all. My mom and dad are here every day but they mostly come whenever they want, my dad sleeps in his office sometimes LOL, run errands, sometimes my mom leaves and goes shopping. But they never take days off at all. And my mom said it'd be hard to have family time if I own this place. The main thing that worries me about owning a business is that I will never have the time to relax, do my chores, spend time with family. It's not like my sister and hubby's day care...lucky them that they can have two days off a week because it is closed Sat. and Sun. If I could have somewhat freedom of what my parents do I think I'd be fine where I am able to pop in for a bit instead of stay the whole day.

2. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's not too hard, you just need to look in the right place(s). It's definitely possible to have some time off as an owner.

3. michelle21689

michelle21689
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Do you know this from experience or from other people's? I'm talking about business owners that have a shop open every day for about 10 hours a day.

It's encouraging to hear. I don't know if I'd be happy working my whole life without at least one day of a break lol...and maybe taking a 2nd day to take it easy as a half day if I have enough workers and a reliable manager. Some people tell me to just have my dad sell the business and forget about it because it's not worth it and that I'd have to be there or else the business would fail. OR to expect a weekend out of the whole year off.

4. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah, I know. I know it from both first hand experiences and second.

5. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

michelle, I know plenty of business owners who not only take days off but even take vacations. You are right that the key is to hire the right people, train them well and then give them enough responsibility to test their ability and their honesty.

Almost every big store started out being small. In the beginning, there was one Walmart, one McDonalds. one Walgreens, one Dunkin Donuts. The original owners never could have expanded if they had not been able to hire the right people. The same is true of small shops and restaurants today. In fact, I don't know of a single shop or restaurant in my neighborhood where the owner doesn't take some time off and leave the business in the hands of someone else for at least a short period of time.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hi Michelle, owning and managing a small retail store is difficult, you need to be open long hours because your business is based on convenience to your customers and it is difficult for the revenue that the business generates, to cover staff costs and still leave a profit. Many of those stores, as you obviously know from first hand experience, are run as a way of life and the whole family gets involved with keeping it open.

However as Business Attorney says it can be done and the large stores such as Tesco for example, would never have grown if they had not figured out how to hire good staff that they could rely on. Maybe you could work in the store and make changes gradually. E.g. find a student that would be happy to work in the store one day every weekend. You might drop in for a couple of hours that day, but largely leave them on their own. This would give you experience of how to hire people and how to manage them effectively. You could also consider other options such as installing CCTV in the store, to help remove any threat of theft.

Another more radical option that you could consider is getting a franchise for your store, I don't know what country you are in, but small retail franchises are very successful here in Ireland. Here's a website that gives brief details on one http://www.centra.ie/html/franchises.html and here's the page where they outline the benefits of a franchise http://www.centra.ie/html/franchises2.html. By becoming part of a franchise you could get access to their expertise and experience when it comes to hiring staff. I'm not affiliated in any way with Centra, I just give them as an example and there are lots more franchises available.

7. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Your case is common happen on those company that run in traditional way. Hiring only family member or relative to run the business is fine but there is some limitation if you want to extend your business. What people do is create/implement a systematic management system to run the business to avoid bad thing happen such as stealing merchandise.

Regarding the off day, you can actually make it two days off or hire people to take care the shop, that's no problem at all. It all depends on your own decision.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

9. DeniseTaylor

DeniseTaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is exactly why I prefer online business. Schedules are flexible, work can be done any time day or night. I've been in the offline business world and it's tough. Employees aren't always dependable. You have to find some way to empower them and motivate them. There are ways to do this if you really want to make it go.

10. michelle21689

michelle21689
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for all the encouraging advice everyone. Thank you for making me feel more optimistic about one day taking over instead of feeling like I'll never again feel relaxed lol. I really appreciate it. I think an advantage is that we don't have to pay rent because we own the building. If all else fails, hey I could always sell the business and rent out the space. But I really do want to make it better and improved. My younger brother doesn't know what to do with his life after his degree but if he doesn't know I think he might consider taking over also. We get along but he's kind of hot-headed but at least the business would stay alive and in the family lol

I thought about expansion but right now I think it's best to focus on one thing at a time and get a feel for it. I think that it would be a challenge to have other stores because of the many things that I would have to consider such as demographics, location, and more responsibilities. One thing I do have in mind is an online shop for dried goods. I have some background in web site building and graphics but it's been a long while. I have ideas that I hope to see come true one day!

• Like Like x 1