Is it possible to be very Realistic and a Visionary?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Chrisj0401, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Chrisj0401

Chrisj0401
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Is it possible to be very Realistic and a Visionary?

I've been considering getting into creative writing a lot... I've just started to write my first short story, which is based on total fiction. I've heard from a talk show talking on this topic being too into Fantasy is very unhealthy. Such as getting too into a dramatic TV show. Which I watch over 15-20 shows I follow as a fan, and not just any fan, a fan and a person who is trying to develop my creativity and analyze what's good and bad, interesting and uninteresting, the primary market & demo of that show is targeting, everything, ect..

As an inspiring Director/Producer & Writer for Dramatic TV shows, I think my process is totally healthy. But I want other people's opinion on this to make sure.

One thing when I started to write is I had some rules for myself... Put myself in the fictitious world of what I'm writing and believe it as much as possible, just not literally believe it. And when I do follow this rule and connect to it, I can make the reader/viewers or whatever do the same. And as a writer I think that is my main goal, to make people connect with the material as much as possible. I'm I right or not?

I know it may not be healthy for someone who may be outside of the business or not planning to be in the business. But myself I plan to be in the business, hence is why I watch soooo much entertainment media. Am I on the right track to watching a large number of multimedia material -especially, within Dramatic TV Shows as that is my primary area I want to work in?

I understood this method from what other people do to develop skills in certain creativity within the area they want to specialize. Such as a Chef, they need a fine tuned pallet (taste) in order to be an amazing chef. A certain career that requires mostly creativity, and master that, I think you'll succeed very highly in most cases. Some people will go to Film School, have no creativity, and fail. Some people dont go to Film School and succeed by miles and much faster than the people that went to Film School.

#1 Chrisj0401, Oct 5, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

You can be creative and extremely intelligent in a practical way, at the same time. Einstein said something along the lines of "imagination is more important than intelligence".

If you're thinking of getting into writing you should read On Writing by Stephen King.

You could also practice your writing skills here on BAF.

3. Chrisj0401

Chrisj0401
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the advice.

I have that book "On Writing by Stephen King" on my wish list for the past year. Still cant afford any books :( ...

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Chris are there any second hand book shops in your area? Perhaps you could exchange some of your old books. Or you could even consider selling some stuff on eBay.

5. Chrisj0401

Chrisj0401
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Havn't check yet. Didnt even think of that since I already know 90% of the books on amazon isnt at in a book store, and most books stores I went to had 40-50% higher prices than Aamzon.com . The used books I've checked didnt have the book you've mentioned but I did see a few books from Stephen King, but they were still a bit high for me -like $20 each.-.

6. solidus37

solidus37
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Imagination is the mother of discoveries in this world. they say that a car is only a luxury item and horses will still be here after 100 years. Now can they still say that it is still a luxury item. In writing there is endless posibilities, all you can think is the best output for your story. Reality is just an addition to the story so the reader will understand more of what you write