Is It Better to Use an Online Site Builder or a Standalone Web Editor?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Eminenz CW, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Eminenz CW

Eminenz CW
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Can someone help me that I should use my web host's free online site builder or a standalone web editor like Dreamweaver?
    Thanks in advance!!!

2. GeekGhost

GeekGhost
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It depends on your level of experience. Have you used Dreamweaver before? There will be a learning curve. If your host has a good site builder then nothing wrong with that but unfortunately most of the ones I've seen are pretty weak.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

If you really want to understand the website creation process I'd suggest that you start by learning HTML. HTML is the foundation coding language that websites are built on. When you use a website creation tool, you don't get to learn how HTML is coded, which is a fundamental skill for web development.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Scarface_007

Scarface_007
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Dreamweaver is better, you can develop much better sites with that then a standalone online web editors.

5. What type of site are you building? If it is a simply "brochure" site for a local business, then there are many online editors that will be more then sufficient. However, if you are planning on building a content rich or ecommerce website, I suggest looking at a CMS based platform such as wordpress, joomla, and magento. These platforms are fairly easy to learn but it would be a good idea to have some basic html, php, and css knowledge first.

6. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would say it totally depends on your level of experience and requirements. If you are comfortable with something like dreamweaver then you can always use it for website building. However, for someone who is not used to such software an online website builder is a simpler and viable option.

7. pitpaul77

pitpaul77
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For independent construction sites need to learn programming. And if you have to do one site, then why waste time on training. Easier to use website builder

8. adamdavid333

adamdavid333
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It depends on the individual. If one has the experience with the web design and development then he/she should try to develop on its own . There are lots of tools available for the web development and dreamweaver is the best of them.

9. madelinekim

madelinekim
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, it is totally depends on your website size and requirement that it is good to use online site builder or not. Generally most of designer prefers to use Adobe dreamweaver tool which is the most acceptable tool to design an attractive and user-friendly website.

10. Boby Smith

Boby Smith
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What kind of site you build? If it's just a website "brochure" for local businesses, there are many online publishers, which will be more than enough. However, if you plan to create rich e-commerce or web content, I suggest you look at the CMS platforms such as WordPress, Joomla, Magento, and. These platforms are fairly easy to learn but would be a good idea to have an HTML, PHP, CSS and knowledge of first base.

11. natyk

natyk
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I can recommend you Artisteer (bktemplates.com) - builder tool which let you create all kind of templates. Excellent for beginners and experts. Worth is spend a time to visit this site and read more about it. Building a page has never been so easy:)