Is it best to hire young workers?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by KacieParker, Dec 29, 2011.

1. KacieParker

KacieParker
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have an interesting question, Is it best to hire young workers? What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages? And what kind of employees do you need right now?

I hope to hear your thoughts.. Thanks!

2. stellaandreapark

stellaandreapark
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If they have the skills why not. They just have to be manage effectively.

3. Leslie1980

Leslie1980
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have young workers on my team, and they are aggressive to work and are eager to learn more.

4. James Greg

James Greg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Young workers are eager to learn more and have less health problems but older people are wise enough to handle the situation quickly. I guess it would depend on the work nature but having a young force is better they have less ways to invent corruption.

5. DaveB

DaveB
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I do not think it is wise to hire based on age (it may even be illegal I think?). I would just look for the people that can do the best job regardless of age. Good hiring decisions are based on a number of criteria and age is rarely one of them unless its within a few very select industries. I always liked the saying "age ain't nothing but a number"!

6. band

band
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Pro: Young worker is aggressive, energetic, creative and low pay.
    Cons: common mistake, lack of experience, like to change job and easy give up.

It all depend on the situation and industrial need. For IT field, I would advise young worker. For medical, account, manufacture, I advise senior worker.

7. vikaskumar11233

vikaskumar11233
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi KacieParker
    Definitely its always good if you hire young workers because their creative ideas can boost your business and as we know business is the world of impress people so the young face and their personality can do it easily, they have more energy, power and capability to boost any business.

8. KacieParker

KacieParker
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the feedback guys!

9. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are some advantage and disadvantage. Young people are aggressive but they lack of experience.
    Personally i dont really care about the age but attitude, if someone have a good attitude, i believed that s/he can do the job good in future although s/he know nothing at the beginning stage

10. bestgolfclubs

bestgolfclubs
    uix_expand uix_collapse

they are aggressive to work and are eager to learn more,have the skills no matter they the age!

11. Jashandeep

Jashandeep
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Young blood is always necessary for the growth of the company but there should be an experienced always to make the best use of there work.

12. AshleyWhiteBusin

AshleyWhiteBusin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are lots of opportunities for young people and they might jump from one job to another. It is then important to choose for someone that loves and interested on the job instead and . Whether they are young or not

13. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It depends. You have a lot of things to consider and differentiate when hiring either a young worker or an old one. Probably, there are instances wherein young workers are more productive than old ones. You can teach young workers new things and professionalism easier than an aged worker who is quite harder to teach new things. Not being stereotypical, but again, it depends on the skills of the individual you are going to hire. If they deserve to be in that position, then give it to him/her no matter young or aged worker the person could be.

14. BoBo_184

BoBo_184
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Pros:
    - Young people are usually more adept at new technologies
    - Young people are usually more enthusiastic (in the beginning at least)
    - Young people don't ask for a lot of money
    - Young people are more flexible as they don't have families, dependents

Cons
    - Young people are more likely to take risks and switch jobs frequently
    - Young people's initial enthusiasm could wear out quickly
    - Young people could require a lot of training
    - Young people need a lot of encouragement

• Like Like x 1
  15. firstchoicecar

firstchoicecar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The aggressiveness in work is your advantage here, The disadvantage is you need a lot of trainings so that they can come up with the work, unlike old workers they know the work and mastered it.

16. StockJohn

StockJohn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think it is always great to emply interns as it can have huge benefits for the person and your company. I think it is vital to have young people working in all companies as they are the next genration. We need to nurture them and help them grow. I found this excellent article discussing this topic for those who are interested.

17. vikaskumar11233

vikaskumar11233
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey Jashandeep
    You are right but until and unless a fresher will not be given a chance to get experience then how they will be a experience.

18. sallya121

sallya121
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If they are good enough,the age is not important .Older employees may have good experience.

19. foxgeorge

foxgeorge
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Young workers will work more enthusiastically than others. If you are looking for any kind of medical services for your business workers then Lorn Austin can help you. Lorn Austin says that we will be offering patients a personalized care that includes recommending a Dietician, nutritionist, physical trainer or a physiotherapist, etc.

20. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

if these young ones can perform the job, so why not. but if you like those very experienced, hire those who really know the technicalities.