Is Google Too Relevant?

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by altcom, Mar 8, 2013.

1. altcom

altcom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

2. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My search result is different though. but yes google play stays on top.

3. Picture

Picture
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It makes sense, but is not necessarily true. They are more likely topping rankings because they deserve to be.

4. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Its just that they own it, they sure wouldn't want their competitors above them. or They really deserve to be on top.

....while they could also be bias.

5. ashleypryce

ashleypryce
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think so.. but Google usually let the rankings stay fair enough. That is to say, those that are on the top results are the ones that is what Google thinks is relevant to your search command.

6. altcom

altcom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Because Google personalize the result according to history, device and location. In webmaster tool it indicated average rank position. If Google+ success, I believe the personalize result may extend to hobby, age, friend relationship.

- - - - Posts Merged - - - -

Youtube occupied 6 results, and IOS apps is missing, don't you think something wrong with the results?

7. eurekapsycrille

eurekapsycrille
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You said usually, So there are some chances that Google might become biased when it comes to SERP. In Altcom's case, take a closer look at the search and you will see that candy crush is an Android app if I'm not mistaken.

As you know, Google is engaged in android apps business. So anyway that they could make their products exposed is a good opportunity for them. For some people that are not tech savvy, it's not really a big deal. But for those who are marketing those products online and actually following Google's guidelines, it's not really a fair game.

But actually, we never know what's the real story behind it. Search results now is really personalized. I even got a different result. But of course, I saw some Google products there.

So I think they are doing some fishing game for the benefit of their own business in the slightest ways that even some online marketers can't notice. But unfortunately for them, Altcom noticed it. :D

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google does personalize its search results based on previous searches. And if your logged in from any google account then its becomes more personalized. That said, on many occasions it is seen that google places its products on top of search results compared to competitors.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It's probably worth noting that the first two results on that search results page are FaceBook pages. As we know FaceBook and Google are competitors. Google's success stemmed from the success of their search engine and the reason their search engine is so successful is because they have figured out how to give people the quality search results they are looking for. I don't believe that Google would jeopardise that in an effort to artificially boost their own products. Saying that it would probably be tempting to give their own sites a little nudge, I remember reading once that the top result on a search page gets clicked 44% of the time and the third result about 11% of the time. So the number one position could get you four times more traffic than the number three position.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Beth

Beth
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have been through an article few days back, where it was written that Google can only get too relevant from one point of view: paid search.

11. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Do you have a link to the article? Can you give a synopsis of the article, so we can get a better idea of why Google would be too relevant for paid search?

12. RevaxMedia

RevaxMedia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

13. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

As was previously pointed out, Candy Crush is an Android app, and the Android OS is owned by Google. I searched the phrase today, and found that the only listing of a Google page is from the Google Play store, and they are ranked #7. As Fergal pointed out, the top position gets 4% of the clicks, and #3 gets 11%. Once you leave the top 5, the percentage of searches goes down to the single digits - if not less.

14. M.umair

M.umair
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's all about site authority, worthy site like google and yahoo don't need to generate backlinks for getting on top.