Is Google Analytics a big fat liar?

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by apexis, Aug 9, 2012.

1. apexis

apexis
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Is Google Analytics a big fat liar?
    During the past few months our website has taken a dive in the SERPS. When looking at analytics it is clear that from the 20th June onwards, the site (according to Google Analytics) now only gets on average around 1 visitor every 5 days.
    We didnt get a huge number of hits to begin with and our main keywords have gone from page 2-3 to page 7-10! With the drop occuring at the end of June would I be right in thinking it may not be Panda/Penguin?
    Anyway, we have a live chat feature on the site which also gives us live stats on visitors and although the visitor numbers are down, we are getting more hits than what Goggle is suggesting.
    So, is Google lying to me?

2. rudradhar

rudradhar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

May be google takes time update or make sure that your website is still linked with GA

3. pentawebexperts

pentawebexperts
    uix_expand uix_collapse

We didnt get a huge number of hits to begin with and our main keywords have gone from page 2-3 to page 7-10! With the drop occuring at the end of June would I be right in thinking it may not be Panda/Penguin?

Well as far as your this question is concerned i too myself have faced things like keywords drop down within the last couple of weeks. I myself sure about that panda did not harm my site but i cannot say anything about penguin as the drop down in my KWS happened after Penguin. So may be your site was hit by penguin. Examine your site if there any thing you have had done wrong in the past that resulted in drop down in KWS rankings.

4. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, I would suggest you have to check your Google webmaster tool before saying that your analytics is lying to you. In your webmaster tool, there might be several errors technically on your website that affected your analytics report in terms of your traffic / visits a day.

There you will find several options or things that you need to fix for your portal.

5. socialme82

socialme82
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I find that Google analytics is only right about some of the time because it takes a while to get the proper updated information.

6. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How about other sites? so far my site work accurately.

7. DeniseTaylor

DeniseTaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have found that different tools count visits differently. Rule of thumb is to choose one stat counter and stick with it. It's all relative, as you're looking for trends in your stats (up or down). But really, it's amazing how one stat counter will vary from another!

Also, make sure you have the code embedded on all pages and in the right place. Improper code placement could affect your stats. That's a no-brainer, but worth a mention,.

8. Thanoz

Thanoz
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you have awstats installed on cPanel/server check and compare the results.

9. printingray

printingray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Its a some kind of other problem GA is really a good tool which give accurate information. I think you must have to attach your site with GA by pasting the script at your site home page.

10. danadlington

danadlington
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You might want to try a tool like woopra.com and compare the results. Generally though I haven't had a lot of problems with GA.

11. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

All of the tools have their own idiosyncrasies. Some count every bot and spider, though most try to eliminate those, with varying levels of success. Usually, however, any particular tool is consistent from month to month so that if you compare month-to-month results using the same tool (GA, Awstats, Webalizer), you should show similar relative changes.

Personally, I like GA because it seems to give me a truer picture of real visitors. The server side stats tools like Awstats and Webalizer seem to include a lot more bots, which really are meaningless to me.

12. smartkathy

smartkathy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

woopra.com? It is totally new for me. Can give me some more details about this.

13. qasexperian

qasexperian
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google Analytics is a great tool to use. However, sometimes I think Google likes to hide things from people, in order to drive up their Adwords business. So, no they aren't liars, but they are sneaky.

14. 3009203267

uix_expand uix_collapse

You can use other software about searching keywords, I will suggest you samurai

15. socialme82

socialme82
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google analytics can be a pretty big liar.

I have had it take keywords from other projects and claim the results of other sites.

Also it takes Google time to tally up the true values.

16. noreturn

noreturn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It really depends on the site I have found, I have found that at time it will be about dead on but when my friends are visiting and me also and it says there is only one visitor a day I know it's lying. Like mentioned above a few post in your cpanel there is this option called Analytics and it should be more accurate then Google's.

17. fish

fish
    uix_expand uix_collapse

GA takes time to update the datebase information, including the numbers of the backlinks and the anchor text situation.
    Personally, I think it may take more than 30 days to get the update.