Is forum a good option to earn with?

Discussion in 'Making Money Online' started by psrb4u, Dec 10, 2012.

1. psrb4u

psrb4u
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've been running a few blogs for some time and now I want to start a forum on a particular topic. I earn decent amount of money through my blog but I want to explore my skills more and for that I was thinking to start a forum with the thinking of a long term planning. I'd like to know if forum is a good way through which I can earn some decent money. If yes, then how? What if I get 2000 daily visits then how much can I earn? Your advice is valuable to me. Thanks in advance.

2. kylesmith025

kylesmith025
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am not sure how forums does the work, maybe with adds. But you have to work double time with forums because there are lots of spammers out there.

3. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I do have a forum myself and though it don't have much traffic its worth while seeing it grow and earn few bucks our of it. Since your blog have decent traffic I assume, then maybe creating a subdomain of you blog for your forum will also attract registrations to it.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

psrb4u I think that it is more difficult to earn from forums than from blogs. With blogs you have much more control over the content that appears on your site and as has already been mentioned, you don't have to spend as much time controlling spam. Forums are extremely difficult to start from scratch, due to the fact that new visitors are reluctant to join a forum that has little activity in terms of members and posts.

5. jcworlditsme

jcworlditsme
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I found that myself when trying to start a new forum on one of my sites, and also that about 80% of new signups were actually spam robots. Eventually, I ended up closing the forum as it just wasn't worth it.

6. Natcoweb

Natcoweb
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think it's hard to earn money via forums.

7. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

But if you are patient enough in maintaining a forum - the in the long run it may double the benefit you may reap from maintaining one. All you need is patience and persistence to it, plus a solid plan. As Fergal said, forum can be exhausting as you need to make sure that the forum is well maintained, and that it provides what visitors are looking for as well as registered members.

8. agentmanningctu

agentmanningctu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can earn a decent amount of money if you're willing to put in a lot of time. It's a lot of work.

9. glampav

glampav
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Best thing is look for client leads by using forums , if you would like to start a forum which is related to your domain or business , there are more chances you'll meet people who are interested in your product or services.

10. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Forum is good to earn in long term but it require more time and more work before you can earn money compare to blog.

11. canvencrt

canvencrt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Forums is a nice, excellent and valuable for anyone with an aim to spent lot of time within a day on it. Usually it required regularly changes with policies and required to get through lot of contents moderation quite often with valuable changes and also needs to be aware of spammers.

12. MoneyTrack

MoneyTrack
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You need to build up quite a following before getting a forum going. What will make your forum unique that will attract visitors and convince them to post and browse through a new forum? Think about that before you jump all the way in.

13. altcom

altcom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If the revenue is generate from banner, I would say that 2000 visitor is not enough, because user are getting blind with advertise.

http://www.alt.com.my/news/banner-ads-is-dead-online-user-are-getting-blind-with-advertisement/ (survey on adblock stat)

http://www.businessinsider.com/facebook-q3-earnings-2012-10?op=1 (Facebook CTR 0.074% - 2.176%)

Agree, blog content is much more strict forward, as long as the author produce good content, it have no problem to get traffic.

14. ificallyoumine

ificallyoumine
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am a forum owner with over 13k registered users which was started on January 2012. I earn on my forum through members donation and especially on the local ads I'm serving. You should consider a niche that is not saturated at all.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Well done ificallyoumine, to get 13,000 registered members on your forum in it's first year is a great achievement.

16. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

13k is indeed a lot. That must be a very busy forum now. How did you promoteit and convince signups?

17. Leejeong

Leejeong
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Now I know what it takes to have a forums sites. You need to be a superhero on establishing a new forum all by yourself and maintaining all those. Hmm. Now that's the reason why there are few forums sites survive the changes in the internet and needs of internet visitors.