Is Facebook taking over social medias?

Discussion in 'Social Media for Business' started by healingforce, Jun 23, 2015.

1. healingforce

healingforce
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi guys, do yout think that Facebook is a bit taking over social medias in general? What I am talking about is the fact that Facebook is basically buying all the social stuff existing that are actually worth something and this lead me to think that they want the "monopoly" of the entire business of social medias. Just think about Whatsapp and Instagram...

2. asbrown

asbrown
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No doubt they are a dominant player but they have no presence in China at all. The top Chinese social media QQ, WeChat, and Weibo, combine to over 1.4 bln users as of Aug last year. I think that companies emerging out of that market will always serve as a counterbalance to Facebook.

3. Damien Lee

Damien Lee
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Facebook are definitely dominant and only growing larger with their latest acquisitions. However, I wouldn't be too worried of them having an outright monopoly. There's still Twitter, Tumblr, Reddit, Google+ and lately Tsu and Bitlanders that have their slice of the social media pie. While I expect Facebook to remain the number one social media network for many years to come, I think the alternatives are also quite significant in terms of market share.

4. tsubibo

tsubibo
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Currently they are the standard when it comes to social media. I don't think they will be able to monopolize it though. Some companies out there are too large for them to gobble up. Google for example. I don't think that Facebook will be able to take over Google anytime soon.

5. chad23

chad23
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah, Facebook is a titan among social networking sites. I think, it's gonna take over all the rest soon.

6. m0n2k

m0n2k
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Facebook isn't taking over social media. In order for Facebook to take over social media, they would have to have more users. People are using Twitter a bit more than Facebook. Facebook can buy as much stuff as they want, but they have to make people want to use there site more in order to take over anything. There are other social media sites out there that are well established that Facebook may be in competition with. I still use Facebook but I don't believe they've taken over everything tho. Twitter has way more use than Facebook when it comes to social media marketing . If Facebook becomes more effective with marketing they'll have a better chance in a monopoly.

7. Corzhens

Corzhens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Pardon me for being a grammar police. MEDIA is a plural noun and the singular is Medium. Likewise with DATA, it is already plural and the singular form is Datum. So it is not correct to say Medias or Datas. No offense meant.

Being the leading social media, Facebook is an act hard to follow. I sometimes wonder why Friendster folded up and didn't put up a good fight. Was there politics? It was such a great opportunity for Friendster since they have already the more than 100 million users. Anyway, Facebook is here to stay for at least 5 years securely in number 1.

8. healingforce

healingforce
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sorry mate, I'm not a native speaker as you can see :) But thanks for your correction. By the way, Friendster could really make some trouble to Facebook if they just want but I guess this wouldn't be really a cool thing for both of their business so they just decided to live in pice I guess.

9. Danielle Davidson

Danielle Davidson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I mean I wouldn't be surprised. I have heard that they have bought out many companies. I think that's how they are able to make most of their money. When you think about it, not many people are using Facebook anymore. I've been reading articles about how there is now a decline in the amount of people using it. Most of the people who are using it now are the people who are always posting what they are doing. Many people that I know just don't find it entertaining anymore. I for one also don't. I just think that it's a waste of time. So, I mean I could see why they would want to buy out all these other companies.

10. Lorence Merk

Lorence Merk
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is just normal for them so it is not surprising anyway. As you can see they are the major player in the world of social media which means they hold so much power as of now.

11. Eleena

Eleena
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Till now yes the scenario is looking like that! But they cant take the position of YouTube! Besides that Instagram as well as Pinterest are also considered as the popular social media sites.

12. cheta

cheta
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think for now, Facebook is leading simply because i think they were the first social media site to exist, so they used the opportunity to amass lot of social media users until other media sites started coming up. but it doesn't really mean that Facebook may take over the others. it will only be at par with them. even twitter is a very strong contender to them as more and more persons are using twitter these days but for more it is Facebook leading the pack.

13. harunsing

harunsing
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes i think so because Facebook is the most common social media. If you check every age people access the Facebook and they are familiar also. If you do any advertising on Facebook then you can get good response to your add.

14. ferrychristian

ferrychristian
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Facebook ofcourse is leading social networking websites, among all websites and today itself it is on heights and in coming years it will gain more and more attention. Because it is the most conventional way to connect with people.

15. Magento_oCodewire

Magento_oCodewire
    uix_expand uix_collapse

From our point of view, We think Facebook is the most popular social media platform. Facebook not overtaking the social medias. Facebook advertisng is the most popular way to attract people and enhance business.

16. paradisegold

paradisegold
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hiii
    Yes is one of the powerful social media tools now a day. Facebook has million of active user and it's have ability to take over all of the social media site but china countries band on Facebook as well google Facebook don't able to take over on Chinese social site.

Thanks ...:)

17. rf-harris

rf-harris
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Without any doubt, facebook is the KING of social networks. With 1.65 billion monthly active users, no other social network is close to it. And you are right that by owning other social networks like instagram, it is gonna rule the social media world even more but there are still other social networks like twitter who are giving facebook a good competition and in future we may see some more. So there would not be anyone's monopoly in this HUGE world of social media.

18. Penny_Saver2016

Penny_Saver2016
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I just think that Facebook is in demand and popular to everyone around the globe. Maybe its because it is easier to use and even better to reach people around the globe.

19. shadwilliams

shadwilliams
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes OFCourse FaceBook is in demand there are millions of users you can easily target the audience and enhance your business.:)

20. zarood

zarood
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think both facebook and instagram are most popular as a best social media platform.