Is Facebook no longer free for small business?

Discussion in 'Social Media for Business' started by nowitscheaper, May 13, 2015.

1. nowitscheaper

nowitscheaper
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Facebook keeps tweaking their algorithm in favour of posts from friends and forces page owners to buy ads to reach their fans. I've seen plenty of organic posts on Facebook reach only 5%-10% of a page's fan

What do you think?

#1 nowitscheaper, May 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2015
  2. Chris_Tax

Chris_Tax
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Facebook is a tough nut to crack. I do income taxes for locals. I share Facebook Business Page posts to my personal friends which are all locals. I am targeting my customer base. I keep them very low key. I still have not been getting enough customers from Facebook.

3. Kevin Peter

Kevin Peter
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

Facebook's organic post depends on the engagement factor. There is a time decay of 3 hours. The more interactions with that posts, the longer it stays on people's organic feed before fading away. Yes, it is true that FB is now concentrating more on the monetization structure.
    @Chris, why dont you try LinkedIn as it is more professional? Every business has its own social media opportunity.

4. manishsqrt

manishsqrt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I also feel so, if you don't advertise on facebook you don't get views, you get a feel that you are being seen but actually you are not.Even if you have likes on your page only hardly 0.5% of the people liking your page watch any update without boosting it through ads. It only creates a drive among people that they are being heard for free, but that is not actually the case.

#4 manishsqrt, May 13, 2015
    Last edited: May 13, 2015
  5. nowitscheaper

nowitscheaper
    uix_expand uix_collapse

So basically, unless you build up momentum within 3 hours it's not going anywhere?

6. RTSteam

RTSteam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In other words, you would need to spend quality time on Facebook so that you can make the most out of it and market your business. Well, it sounds easy but most likely not for a small business. Small business owners are preoccupied with a lot of things. They won't have enough time to spend hours on Facebook. Zuckerberg is really a jerk!

7. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

You started out well, but in the end your post fell apart. Spending quality time on marketing your business is exactly what you need to do. This means not taking the easy way out by buying likes, or spamming follower's Facebook feed with a lot of ads, but engaging your followers with current, helpful information and being recognized as an authority in your niche. Wanting business owners to do this does not make (Mark) Zuckerburg a jerk, but a business owner who wants to provide his members with what they need. Any business owner who thinks he should be able to flood the feed of anyone he wants with ads is the one who actually is a jerk.

8. Kevin Peter

Kevin Peter
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

I agree. The changes each of these platforms have, is actually helping us get better interms of marketing and have the audience benefitted.

9. ashutoshkhuana11

ashutoshkhuana11
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I also feel so, Facebook can make money and they forces pages owner to buy their campaigns. But I think if you posted engaging content on the Facebook you get more and relevant audience with out using any Facebook marketing campaigns .

10. Problem Solver

Problem Solver
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Facebook has reduced the number of organic posts displayed within news feeds in favor of sponsored and promoted posts. While it does appear that this is a trend, there are a few ways to work around this to engage your community and drive sales. One of the best ways we've (my company Charlotte Print) found is to create a private group, invite fans, and build your community that way. One of the major benefits to this strategy is that you control your message and how it's seen. You can also join and interact with members in other established groups.