Is domain age an important factor to get rank in search engine?

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing, Online Promotion & SEO' started by patrick0001, Mar 30, 2012.

1. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Money:
    $0
    This question has become a hot question in major webmaster forum, but most of the webmaster still cant get the correct answer. What do you think? I will share my answer later on.

2. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Money:
    $16
    From what I have read, the age of the WEBSITE is a factor, but not necessarily the domain. In other words if you have a 10 year old domain that has been parked the whole time and then you put a website on it, the age of the domain is not going to help you. The search engines will see that as a new website, regardless of how old the domain is. Similarly, lets say you had a domain with a small personal blog on it for 10 years and someone comes along, buys it and puts on all new content. The age of the domain will not be a significant factor because the search engines will view it as essentially a new site.

On the other hand, if you had a 10 year old site on cruise travel and someone bought it, left your content and began to steadily add content on the cruise industry, tripling the size of the website over a 6 month period, I think it is likely that the age of the website (again, not the age of the domain as such) would play in your favor.

Of course, the search engines will never tell us how any of the 200 or so factors affect their algorithm, so whether the age of the website is a significant factor is really only a guess.

3. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Money:
    $0
    domain age is one of the factor that affecting the SERP. It will be better if you can get an age domain with good keyword. However, the keyword inside the domain is actually more important compare to age domain

4. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Money:
    $0
    Yes it is. Domain age may refer to your websites' credibility, history, and old incoming and outgoing links to that domain. But - it still remains a small part of the many signals that big G uses in determing the SERP for websites.

5. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Money:
    $0
    This is answer I found, http://www.seomoz.org/blog/age-of-site-and-old-links-whiteboard-friday

Generally domain is like shop, when a shop operate for long time, it get more referral customer and reputation compare to the new shop. But the age of the shop is not a big concern, the most important is their services and product.

Age domain rank well, because they have accumulate great backlink and reputation, so they gain more referral traffic and market brand. User recognize brand, so they revisit the site. Age domain itself does not play an important role to rank a site.

6. jcworlditsme

jcworlditsme
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Money:
    $0
    I must say thats a great way to think of it, people forget that word of mouth can be important for a site.

7. stellaandreapark

stellaandreapark
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Money:
    $0
    The older the domain, the more reliable the site become.

8. indochinaguide

indochinaguide
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Money:
    $0
    Domain age helps alot for the ranking. The first criteria is domain name.

9. merryscanlan

merryscanlan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Money:
    $0
    The answer is yes that domain age is an important SEO factor for your Google ranking. Among the hundreds of weighting factors that Google considers in determining how to rank search engine results is the age of your domain. But it’s the matter that how many links and how long your domain seeing yin the search engines. If your domain is 5 ears old and has no-good backlinks then its like as the domain which you purchase yesterday.

10. Missnancyalex

Missnancyalex
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Money:
    $0
    The age of the domain is usually a sign whether or not a site is yesterday's news or tomorrow's popular site. There are many factors that affect the ranking of a website, among them domain age is very important.
    Two things that are considered in the age of a domain name are:
    • The age of the website
    • The length of time a domain has been registered
    SEO professionals paint a pretty clear picture that an older domain age competes for rankings a bit better.

11. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Money:
    $0
    If domain age is very important, why facebook can rank better than Myspace and Friendster? Domain age only tell how the site operate, it gain a bit more trust than newly setup site. If search engine result can be influence by age domain, then none of the webmaster willing to register and build new site.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ownedbox

ownedbox
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Money:
    $6
    good point. I think its just keyword optimization that matters to rank in SERPS.

13. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Money:
    $0
    Pretty much right off the bat. The domain age just tells how old the site is, I have seen newly made sites ranking good compared to other sites with are much older to them.

If your site is a blog, the older the domain, the more posts you have to be taken by search engines. That is if you post on it regularly and you optimize your content for search engines.

14. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Money:
    $0
    You are rite, this article mention it. http://www.v7n.com/keyword-descriptive-domains.php

If age domain is shortcut to rank, I am sure none of us going to discuss page rank, link building, on page SEO. Buy the age domain will do.

15. jackuline

jackuline
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Money:
    $0
    Domain age is one of the factor that affecting the SEO.If you are having an old domain namethat adds more credibility to your search engine rankings.
    especially google gives more importance to domain age.
    You can look at this site whoisxy.com. you can gather the information of the domain name creator
    and owner of the domain name also it displays the information of the domain name that is when is expired & created. Its a easy way to find the age of domain name..

16. smo9marketing

smo9marketing
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Money:
    $0
    Yes.

Even in Youtube, the age of a channel makes a huge difference.

my youtube JOURNIK shows up #1 in google searches for must simple searches
    my youtube LANYCHK is new. and it takes 3 TIMES more links to get those videos to page one

17. Lincoln Smith

Lincoln Smith
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Money:
    $0
    I want to suggest answer for this question in my way-->
    let us took an example of a old healthy man vs a young boy.
    If you need a health tip then whom you prefer?
    I guess ..old man??. But sudden you came to know that young boy is doctor then???

18. jackjohan7299

jackjohan7299
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Money:
    $0
    All depends upon the popularity of the domain.How popular domain is.

19. eelizasanchez121

eelizasanchez121
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Money:
    $0
    Yes it matter the higher the age the trusty the website would be.

20. jaysh4922

jaysh4922
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Money:
    $6
    From my experience, owning a site with information on various topics, I can state that after 1 year, I have noticed an increase in Search Engine rankings.

Not sure if it is a result of more backlinks like e.g. submitting to directories,articles or because I have more information but I started getting ranked well after 1 year.

There are so many factors that it is difficult to find a true cause.