Is digg sold to other company?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by patrick0001, Sep 7, 2012.

1. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Yes, Digg was sold for half a million dollars earlier this summer. The price was considered low as Digg was previously valued at $160 Million. You can read more about the sale here on the Wall Street Journal.

Personally I'm not a fan of how the now Digg website looks, in my opinion it looks like a pretty standard news blog and I don't see any really reason to visit the site. I wonder will they make significant improvements to it in the near future.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanoz

Thanoz
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, digg was sold and changed. Pretty soon, it will be only the name that will resemble the once-huge social bookmarking network. That's business..

4. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I also dont like the new design, it make the thing complicated, most of the user left the site.
    According to the survey, they found the potential of mobile market, so they switch focus to new design, but the problem is people no longer like the site.

http://blog.digg.com/post/27911248952/v1-survey-results

5. Thanoz

Thanoz
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I was a digg user, i even made my one social bookmarking service because i was inspired by the potentials digg offered. Right now, i am miles apart from digg's logic and way of seeing things. But i guess that's business and money..

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Interesting survey Thanoz,

That particular finding must have been more than a little stressful for a company who has just paid $500 Million to buy a website.

7. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, I find older Digg way better than today's Digg. I just don't feel the ambiance of sharing in the old Digg from the new one. Maybe they are still updating or doing something on it?

8. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Digg is just one more company that squandered a great advantage that it had in its space. It's happened many times over the last two decades. Sometimes the market shifts suddenly in unforeseeable ways, but often times at least as an outsider it seems that the company should have seen it coming and reacted to the changes.

I can name a number of search engines that were well established before Google came along, but they failed to deliver the search results that the new kids from Stanford could deliver. MySpace was a cluttered mess but with a large user base when FaceBook came along and took their cheese. Software pioneers like WordPerfect and Lotus 1-2-3 were out-marketed by a little company called Microsoft (I say "out-marketed" because I don't think the MS products were improvements, just marketed better). AOL, Compuserve, and Prodigy all had millions of users at a time when their users were the vast majority of the people on the Internet but failed to provide adequate value as users moved away from dial-up to always-on access.

I don't predict that the new owners of Digg will flourish but perhaps they can get enough of a core user group to justify a $500K investment in the remnants of what promised to be a social networking leader.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Thanoz

Thanoz
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The new owners of digg don't care for digg.com not even for their content. They wanted the user database and the patents included..

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanoz do you know what kind of patents came with the sale?

11. Thanoz

Thanoz
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As for the patents, TechCrunch’s report indicates that LinkedIn purchased 15 patents from the social news site for roughly $4 million. One of the more valuable patents is said to involve the “click a button to vote up a story” functionality, which would certainly be useful for any social media property — both for integration into its own services and through licensing deals. Those patents will be licensed out to Betaworks for use in the new cloud-based Digg and News.me properties.

source: http://venturebeat.com/2012/07/13/l...digg-patents-for-4m-prior-to-its-acquisition/

The awarded patent is on the topic of “content visualization,” and it broadly covers the workings of Digg circa 2007, when the patent was filed.
    The patent’s claims include users submitting stories, the system checking for duplicates, and then reordering stories based on user votes, and displaying content in various forms like a list, a “swarm” network visualization of content weighted by votes, and on a map.

The rest of the Digg patent applications don’t appear to have been published, with the exception of one that’s very close to the awarded patent and also bundles in some other applications about content and event visualization.

source: http://allthingsd.com/20120714/now-...olio-was-all-about-its-social-news-interface/

• Like Like x 2
  12. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Is user database move to kippt and pinboard?

http://www.digg.com/archive -

13. rudradhar

rudradhar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah digg is sold at $500,000 its much lowest price compared to $160 M.