Is customer service dead?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by BridgeLL, Nov 8, 2012.

1. BridgeLL

BridgeLL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Is customer service dead?

Let me explain:

I went to a big name department store and walked into the purse department. As I was walking up to the counter, I could see an employee look directly at me, and then turn around and walk the other way.

This seemed a bit rude to me, but I decided to let it slide because maybe she’d been waiting a long time to take her lunch or something, I know that it can be hard to work in retail. Well, I stood at the counter quietly and was happy to see a young man scurry over toward me, only to be stopped by the associate who wandered away when I approached. The two struck up a conversation about a third coworker. And then I began to get irritated.

I stood there quietly a few more moments before I finally got too annoyed and said, “Excuse me!” at a moderate volume. They didn’t move. They didn’t even stop gossiping about the other coworker!

A few more moments passed with me standing at the counter, making eye contact with the young man who was originally on his way to help me. Eventually my anger overtook me and I decided it would be best to simply move away from the situation. But I really wanted to scream at the both of them that customer service is as simple as asking if there is anything you can do to help the customer. Alas, I did not.

But I would like to ask all of you, have you ever had a similar situation? Have you had a worse one? How did you handle it?

Stories of you screaming at someone who deserved it will be much appreciated! (Let me live vicariously through you, lol)

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Screaming at someone who deserve it may make you feel better, but it also makes you look bad to anyone who may be nearby (Security may also be very interested in your actions). A better solution would be to report your experience to the manager. You may also want to write to the corporate office of the store. With more and more people purchasing from websites, they may be more concerned about how customers are treated in their store. In any case, you have done what you believe is necessary, it is now up to the management of the store (with perhaps follow-up by the corporate office) to determine how to take care of the problem.
    There is one other point. If everyone who said "I will never shop in this store again" actually didn't, the entire retail industry would collapse - nevertheless, that is an option.

• Like Like x 1
  3. joydeguzman

joydeguzman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Screaming at someone will make you feel better but will not solve the problem about customer service. Yes, you can solve your problem but it will escalate to a newer one because that customer support will surely tell everyone about their experiences as well. The only solution is to report about what they are doing. Then that's the time that they will feel that they should not ignore customers. I've been in a customer support before and that's what I always here from my colleagues whenever they experience something bad with their customers.

4. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Customer service is not dead nor will it ever be, but good customer service seems to be a thing of the past.

5. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

many company did ignore the customer service or we should say that they are not able to manage their customer service department good. The employee are trying to avoid to handle the customer complaint, if this case happen to me, i sure will directly go to the customer service department looking for their head or manager office

6. jcworlditsme

jcworlditsme
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would definitely ask for a manager in this situation, those type of staff would be losing the company money as well as irritating customers.

7. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This reminded me of an experience I had in a well known PC store... it really wouldn't have taken much for the guy to say 'I'll be with you in a minute...' but instead he blanked me, repeatedly... I guess it's just one less place to shop!