is cloudfare effective to speed up websites?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by daytrader, Sep 19, 2013.

1. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm now considering to use cloudfare this time as I've read it will drastically speed up website loads and shall reduce server resources of my host. I've read some blogpost about this and maybe you guys are currently using it. has it also make your site load faster?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I used CloudFlare on Forum Promotion, when I owned that site. I was on the free version, so I can't speak for the premium / paid versions. However, we felt that the free version actually slowed down the site at times and hence we removed it. Perhaps your experience will be different, but it didn't work for Forum Promotion.

3. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've just signup and use the free version. were you able to get feedback from your host regarding the cpu usage whether you cgi load has improved since the day you started cloudfare?

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sorry ownedbox, no we didn't do that. However, some of our members reported occasional difficulties viewing the site after we installed Cloudflare and those difficulties were resolved when we removed it. That's not to say it won't work for you.

5. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The reason i ask is that I want to check the hosting companies' side whether they recommend using cloudfare. I might remove it if later i find it makes my site slower but as of now, it seems okay.