Is backlinking through blog comments still viable?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by James12smith, Jan 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James12smith

James12smith
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I understand previously it was a lot easier with blog comments needing validation from the blog owner but nowadays almost every blog requires the blog itself to validate your comment so its rather difficult to be posting your comments with your link attached without them thinking you're trying to spam.

What are some other viable ways to backlink? I'm having a hard time trying to think of anything else, really.

2. rudradhar

rudradhar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Its ok to do backlinks through blog comments, but you should always comment as like a genuine user. For eg: Commenting on a blog and keeping your keyword in name section is a spammy way to do. Better you do quality and genuine comments.

3. Dexterbell

Dexterbell
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Blog commenting is good way to get backlinks but don't spam and also you can do social bookmarking, directory submissions for getting backlinks.

4. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Actually, although the blog post itself is a good way to get backlinks, blog commenting is not. Also, submitting a website to directories specifically to get backlinks is not recommended.

5. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I wish more people would understand that. I still see so much comment spam, it amazes me. Even with spam filters like Akismet than keep out most of the spam. I have a couple of blogs where the obviously spam comments outnumber the real comments by a large margin.

People are wasting their time on SEO tactics that haven't worked in years and webmaster forums are replete with posts like the one you replied to, where people continue to advise newbies to try outdated methods that not only don't help but may even harm a site's ranking in the search engine results.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I'm glad somebody here actually realizes that. Even here on BAF, I have corrected people several times who have recommended outdated methods, and yet a lot of them are still doing it. I'm tempted to just start unapproving posts that do that, so they can be treated like the "junk" they are.

7. tylerjackson81

tylerjackson81
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yes blacklinking is still working if relavent link otherwise your link spam.And you have to do comments with related topic.

8. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

The OP specifically asked about backlinks from blog comments. Although your suggestion is a good one when obtaining links from quality sources, it does not apply to blog comments, since they are considered low-quality links. As Business Attorney has pointed out, you, rudradhar, and Dexterbell are recommending outdated techniques that are no longer viable.

9. Priyanka Sharma

Priyanka Sharma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you have good comment then surely author approve your comment don't put link in comment box. They provide website option so you can get link from there

10. kevinkrieger

kevinkrieger
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I developed my 20 blogs related to my keywords. I Simple getting backlinks from there.

11. Halwits

Halwits
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is not difficult to do blog commenting if you are posting relevant comments on blogs that are related to your website niche. This is still an effective technique for building backlinks and generating traffic for a website.

12. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I was going to unapprove your comment because you said that blog commenting is an effective technique for "building backlinks", when both Business Attorney and I have already pointed out, in earlier posts, it is not. However, you are correct when you say it can be an effective technique for generating traffic.

13. eurekapsycrille

eurekapsycrille
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Same case with me. I run a blog that are being spammed-to-death by people who still think traditional way of getting backlinks through blog commenting works.

For the OP I think you should have a change of habit in terms of link building. Specifically for blog comments, you can get nothing from it if you will continue thinking how to drop your link going to directly to your site. If you will analyze today's approach when leaving a comment to a blog, you can see there are still lots and lots of search/online marketing professionals are doing blog commenting. But not for the sole purpose of "LINKS".

They tend to build relationship with the blogger, add value to the post, or even criticize it for lack of information, or re-battle it, or some stuffs that will start a conversation. The point is traditional link building using blog comments are useless now. It is very obvious if you are just spamming a post or not. So I think you should start coming up a plan that will let you build relationship with other blog owners if you want to do blog commenting.

14. Krisz Rokk

Krisz Rokk
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I like the relationship part you pointed out.
    Thanks joeroxx & Business Attorney for telling it as is.

Here's an awesome article from Matt Cutts (Head of Google's Webspam team) I thought you guys would be interested. It was published two days ago - January 20, 2014:

The decay and fall of guest blogging for SEO

Okay, I’m calling it: if you’re using guest blogging as a way to gain links in 2014, you should probably stop. Why? Because over time it’s become a more and more spammy practice, and if you’re doing a lot of guest blogging then you’re hanging out with really bad company.

So stick a fork in it: guest blogging is done; it’s just gotten too spammy. In general I wouldn’t recommend accepting a guest blog post unless you are willing to vouch for someone personally or know them well. Likewise, I wouldn’t recommend relying on guest posting, guest blogging sites, or guest blogging SEO as a linkbuilding strategy.

Here's the link to the entire article http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/guest-blogging/

15. spyshekhar

spyshekhar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yes back links through blog commenting is still viable if you are commenting in the category of your blog means you will get relevant traffic.

16. marklee

marklee
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Blog Commenting is work only if the Owner of the Blogs approve your comments.Most of the Cases Blog Moderators are not Approved the Comments,So write to the point what feel to read the post if you find some improvement then write may be your comment is approved by the Blog Owner.

17. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

This thread is now closed. If you have something new to add, let me know and I'll re-open it.

18. jacobflores

jacobflores
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Are blog comments still worth doing for SEO?

One of the most basic ways I can see about building a large number of inbound links is through blog commenting, but I want to know if this really makes any difference anymore are blog comments worth while or will google ignore them/penalize me for this type of link?

Thank you for the info.

19. carloborja

carloborja
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Create a comment for humans, not for Google bots.

In short, only comment on a blog when you could add value to the article itself. Do not comment on any blog for the sole purpose of dropping a link.

20. Rickytaylor

Rickytaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Blog comments are still useful and worth only if you are commenting on relevant blog and provides and share useful information there. Make sure that the blog site must be of good PR and relevant to your topic too.

Mount Kilimanjaro Climbing

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.