Is anyone squeamish about doing business with countries without good safety regulations?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Soliloquy, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Soliloquy

Soliloquy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've been busy sourcing some items, and the cheapest ones, of course, are from a country that doesn't have a good reputation when it comes to safety and health regulations. (I don't want to name names, exactly, but they had a big explosion a couple of days ago.) Has anyone else decided to avoid buying from such countries?

2. Damien Lee

Damien Lee
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I understand why you wouldn't want to name names, it's always better to be discrete. Yes, I'm definitely squeamish about doing business with countries and companies that don't have good safety and health regulations. I would always be worried that products that I'm sourcing could be dangerous to my own well-being, my employees and of course - my customers. I'd prefer to pay a little more and purchase from a more reputable supplier at all times.

3. SpikeTheLobster

SpikeTheLobster
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm a little unclear on exactly what you're talking about.

If you're concerned by a supplier's lack of application of health and safety rules among their workers, it's an ethical question based on your principles - rather like not ordering from fur traders, companies that use child labour and businesses that run sweat-shops. Is your concern for their workers more important than a cheaper price?

If you're talking about the finished product, there must be a paper trail of approvals for sale in your country (assuming the product is available). You can check safety and health certifications from that or, if there's no one using that supplier, ask them for a sample and get it checked.

4. Soliloquy

Soliloquy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In this case, I'm talking about the finished products. Yes, one could ask for safety and health certifications, but at least in the originating country that process is suspect, what with false labeling and such. I think I'd rather pay more for products originating from countries with better regulation.

5. m0n2k

m0n2k
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I wouldn't buy from any where that doesn't have good safety or health regulations. This is how diseases and plagues get spread. I think there should be Federal regulations regarding any thing being shipped into the U.S from countries with bad health regulations. After the ebola outbreak it is wise that you are cautious about buying things from countries with bad health regulations. I say it's better to be safe than sorry.

6. atlantasports

atlantasports
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I feel like squeamish is not exactly the correct word for this predicament, which, I completely agree with you on. I think that I am just generally leery of the countries that do not have good regulations. I will do business with them, obviously, but it is somewhat unnerving, I guess.

7. Nox

Nox
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If I was in your position I would rather focus on the reputation of the business rather than a country. You need to know whether the company you are using to source your materials is susceptible to the concerns you currently have.

I also know as someone who has some friends abroad, what international media says and what's really going on, on the ground can be two separate things. Sources of good information about a particular country's stance on safety can be found in government gazettes. Use the World Bank, IMF and UN as your sources. Use global surveys conducted by multinational reputable corporations to make your decision on the matter. All in all, I would really go back to focusing on the particular company you're sourcing from, things like their track record in the field, their financial statements (if available), hard facts.